+ Reply to Thread

Default Ceiling Fan Advice

I changed out the ceiling fan in my living room and am having an issue. neither the old fan or the new have a light. the old was wired so that the fan was controlled with a wall switch.
    i've got the new fan up but it will only work with the pull chain.

in the ceiling, i found two groups of wires: the first has a copper, a black, and a white. the second has a copper, a black, and a white with a black stripe.

the fan has a black (motor), blue (light--which is doesn't have), and a white (neutral).

i connected the black and blue wires from the fan to the black in the first grouping (per instructions), the white to white, and the two green wires in the ceiling are capped together; the remaining wires in the ceiling i capped off as well. the fan works, but not with the wall switch.

when i tried using the second grouping, treating the white with black stripe as a white, nothing happened.

i have tried every combo i can think of, and nothing makes the switch work.

i checked the wires coming from the switch and there is a black in the top screw and a white in the bottom.

what am i doing wrong?

thanks!

Default Re: Ceiling Fan Advice

First cable black to the white with black strip of cable two, the white from cable one to the fan white, the black from cable two to fan, the copper wires and the green wire together.

Cable two is the switch loop, the white with black strip takes power to the switch and the black wire is the return to the fan.

In the attached drawing the bare copper and green ground wires are not shown.
    Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fan_switch.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	3123  
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

thanks for the reply; ill give it a go and see what happens!

Jack,
    Next time I'm in your neck of the woods, I owe you a drink! It's up, and it runs on the switch.

Thanks again for your quick reply!

Matt:-)

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    First cable black to the white with black strip of cable two, the white from cable one to the fan white, the black from cable two to fan, the copper wires and the green wire together.

Cable two is the switch loop, the white with black strip takes power to the switch and the black wire is the return to the fan.

In the attached drawing the bare copper and green ground wires are not shown.
    Jack

You're quite welcome.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb