+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb decreasing hot water

I began experiencing sediment in my hot water several months ago. I drained the water heater which took care of 90+% of the sediment but have noticed that the volume of hot water continues to decrease as time passes. I currently am only able to take a 15 minute shower in slightly warmer than leukwarm water before the hot water runs out. It is a 30 gallon gas tank. Does anyone have any ideas?

Default Re: decreasing hot water

Is this an electric water heater ? If so you may have an issue with an element not turning on or heavily coated with crud..

Otherwise it could be a problem with the dip tube broken or cracked --- both for electric or fuel fired water heaters.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by tshrn2 View Post
    I began experiencing sediment in my hot water several months ago. I drained the water heater which took care of 90+% of the sediment but have noticed that the volume of hot water continues to decrease as time passes. I currently am only able to take a 15 minute shower in slightly warmer than leukwarm water before the hot water runs out. It is a 30 gallon gas tank. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Hello, Gas water heater, try turning up the thermostat on the burner. You have to remember this as well, a 30 gallon water heater produces approximatly 25 gallons of true hot water because it is being chilled as it is used. So, mixing cold and hot water together with a standard shower head delivering 5 gpm of hot and cold water, you will start to run out of hot water after 12-15 minutes. (you figure a 15 minute shower is using 75 gallons of hot and cold water) If you had more hot water before has something changed? Is anyone else using water before you or something else running at the same time? Hope this helps. GregC ,Plumber 30yrs.

Smile Re: decreasing hot water

Check your hot water temp at the faucet by running it for several minutes and get a cup ful and see if it is around 125 degrees with a temperature guage. If it is not turn up your temp at the water heater. Recheck in about two hours when no one has used the hot water or first thing in the morning.
    If the temp has not changed and you still get all the hot water you want but at a low temp it could be two things.
    A cracked dip tube which is mixing cold with the hot or the thremostat is bad.
    Check the water heater at the tank in the morning before it is used by draining some water in a cup and using temperature guage.
    If the temp is lower than 125 at the bottom of the tank and it is not running that means the thermostat is bad.
    If is good and hot them that means the dip tube is cracked.
    If your hot water runs out pretty fast when called for that usaully means the dip tube has completely broken off.
    The dip tube is the cheapest thing to replace (only about $10)so hope for that.
    To replace the thermostat you have to replace the whole control valve by disconnecting the gas and thermocouple feed and it will unscrew from the tank like any other fitting. It will cost $90 to $110 so you need to look at the age and cost of a new tank before making this repair.
    Good Luck

I am not a plumber, just a homeowner, so take this advice for what it costs! But we have a 40 gallon hot water heater (electric) and we had the same problem...slowly less and less hot water. We replaced the elements, about $8 repair, and it works like new!
    I would try this first as it is pretty easy and inexpensive.

The relatively warm/luke warm water makes me also suspect the cartridge in the shower valve if its a single handle faucet. Is it only the shower or is it all faucets in the home?

I can't be the only one to notice this: 30 gallon HWH, 15 minute shower until lukewarm = 2 gpm shower head; the hot water is all used up after 15 mins.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Sombre, if you noticed the keywords of slightly warmer than luke warm. There is no "hot" water to begin with.
    Plumbers protect the health of the Nation