+ Reply to Thread

Smile Replacing old fluorescent kitchen light

Our house was built in the 70's and our kitchen has a large rectangular fluorescent fixture over the island and it is the primary source of lighting in the kitchen. We recently replaced our cabinets and I would like to replace the fixture. What would be a good source of overhead lighting? I have a halogen fixture over the sink which I use most of the time. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Replacing old fluorescent kitchen light

I would probably yank the fixture and install 2-5 can lights.

My kitchen had 2 sofit recessed lights wired with a chandelier over a breakfast nook and a 3rd sofit light on its own switch. I took out the chandelier when I put in a pantry in place of part of the breakfast nook and then added a pair of ceiling recessed lights wired to the existing two sofit lights. 4 65w equiv. CFL reflectors lights total and it provides very good working light in my kitchen. Kitchen is about 10x10ft not including counter space.

Alternately since it is over the island you could go with some pendant lights. Pendant lights typically look better on odd numbers, so I'd do either 3 or 5. I'd consider doing them as accents though. I'd do maybe 4 recessed lights for the main light and have them flank 2 on each side evenly spaced around the island (pretty much on the corners of the island, but maybe 1-2ft out diagonally from the corners) and then 3 pendants over the island. I'd have the pendants and recessed lights on seperate switches.
    Last edited by azazel1024@hotmail.com; 01-16-2010 at 06:45 AM.

Hello, Yes can lights are the way to go these days. you can place them where you need them and even direct them in directions of your choice. You can even have seperate "banks" of switches if you want for certain areas.Not too bad in cost and pretty simple to loop together for installing.Good tip for this, take some blue or any color tape and place it on the ceiling where you think you might want the light. This will give you an idea how to best lay them out. Good Luck!
    Hidden Content GregC, President/Founder of Hidden Content

Go for pendant lights. They are rally in-style today and look great. You can even choose a low-voltage fixture with an energy saving bulb, like the halogen one you have now.
    _________
    Find licensed electricians in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcy Tate View Post
    Go for pendant lights. They are rally in-style today and look great. You can even choose a low-voltage fixture with an energy saving bulb, like the halogen one you have now.
    _________
    Find licensed electricians in your area.
    While fluorescent lighting provides great light, it does have a dated {eighties?**look about it.
    I too recommend a walk thought a lighting store, not necessarily a big box store, ugh!!! for ideas.
    I find ideas and great help in those types on stores, as compared to hd or loews.