+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaky Ducts

Default Leaky Ducts

My single story ranch home has blown insulation in the attic/crawl space. This insulation is everywhere in my home. Question: How can I seal the leaks in my duct work without going up there. Gumby would have trouble moving around up there. I heard about a company that seals the ducks, but no one's availible in Las Vegas.

Thank you,

Dusty in Las Vegas

Default Re: Leaky Ducts

Sorry Dusty but the only way to seal your ducts is to bite the bullet and go into the attic. You live in Vegas and your ducts aren't insulated, they must sweat something fierce. Good Luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikenesler View Post
    My single story ranch home has blown insulation in the attic/crawl space. This insulation is everywhere in my home. Question: How can I seal the leaks in my duct work without going up there. Gumby would have trouble moving around up there. I heard about a company that seals the ducks, but no one's availible in Las Vegas.

Thank you,

Dusty in Las Vegas
    Hello Dusty, If you have the blown-in insulation dust in your "living area" of your house its not a leaky duct problem. It is the RETURN air problem. The return air is sucking the insulation from a wall opening or open area near the blown-in insulation, that is what is happening. its sucking it then running it through the furnance and the FORCED air is pushing it out of your heating vents. Try a good filter at/in the furnace to trap most of the dust first. If the filter clogs quickly then you are SUCKING insulation from the return side. Hope you can understand what I mean. GregC Plumber/HVAC 30 yrs

If his return ducts aren't sealed they will suck in dust and blown in insulation. The fibers are so small that they can and will fit through any crack or opening. I'm sure that if you seal them it will solve your problem but do this, just put the foil tape on your ductwork at the seams and connections instead of sealing them with mastic or a good duct sealer. If this solves the problem you can go back and add the sealer, the tape only cost about 5 bucks. Good Luck!!!

There is a method (Google aeroseal) of sealing ducts where the sealant is sucked or blown into the system, and the particles fill the leaks.

Sounds like an easy alternative to climbing in the attic, anyone got any pricing for this??