+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Relocating forced air ducts

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    Nuff said on that subject
    But wait ... What about sealing the duct work?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scootin159 View Post
    Took some measurements tonight, and there's a total 6 vents I need to move, each 2.5"x12". Conveniently the closet is just under 6 feet wide, and the beam will stick 2 inches into the room.

Thus, I can run the ducts up the closet back wall and directly under the floor joists (in the living room ceiling). Then I can just box them into the ceiling, leaving a roughly 2.5" deep, 5' wide "depression" in the ceiling.

Only down sides are the bump in the ceiling, and I would have to eliminate the cold air return in the one bedroom. I'm told this won't cause any problems, do you agree?
    Sounds like a reasonable compromise however, the room without the return may experience a change in heating / cooling with changing the air circulation. Depending if there would be another return located nearby --- say a hall ---- then undercutting the door to this room by an inch or so may rectify that.

Unfortunately at times design changes are needed without opening a can of worms.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

If you use oval ductwork you shouldn't have any "bumps" in your ceiling. You should have as much return air as supply if for nothing else to keep your furnace from going off on High limit. I get kind of Anal when things aren't done just so, but it probably won't matter. Good Luck!!!

. I get kind of Anal when things aren't done just so,
    Yep --- me too
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

If you use oval ductwork you shouldn't have any "bumps" in your ceiling. You should have as much return air as supply if for nothing else to keep your furnace from going off on High limit. I get kind of Anal when things aren't done just so, but it probably won't matter. Good Luck!!!
    I was planning on using rectangular ducts, with a square box framed around them. How would an oval duct be different?

I'm all for doing it right, but can't think of a way to run the cold air return without having it go right through the middle of the living room. The simlest cold air return solution would be to just have a room to room vent in either the door (to the hall), or in the floor (to the living room). Just have to see what my wife says about the asthetics.

Sorry, had a brain cramp (hate it when that happens). You will have a little bump where the wall meets the ceiling unless you box it in but the box would have to come off the wall about 3-4 inches. If you use the box method put it in a corner and it won't stand out so much. If you use the outside walls for your supplies you can use your closets for the returns, no bumps. Is there someplace that you can put one big central return? Good Luck!!!
    Last edited by Sten; 01-16-2010 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scootin159 View Post
    The simlest cold air return solution would be to just have a room to room vent in either the door (to the hall), or in the floor (to the living room). Just have to see what my wife says about the asthetics.
    As Canuk mentioned earlier, a 1" gap under the door is highly effective at venting the cold air from the room. My last house was a two story with one main return in the common area on each floor. There was a 3/4" - 1" gap under the doors to each of the four rooms upstairs and the winter/summer temps were easily maintained with the thermostat. I'm now in a single story, double wide manufactured home. There is no return ducting to the furnace, only supplies to each room with gaps under the doors. The furnace draws the return air directly from it's location at the end of the house. Other than the fact that the insulation sucks in this house, the circulatory effects of the heat/ac sufficiently maintain a comfortable year round temperature.

Just to humor Sten, tell him you'll plumb in a return ... (sorry Sten, I couldn't resist. )
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Just to humor Sten, tell him you'll plumb in a return ... (sorry Sten, I couldn't resist. )[/QUOTE]

Of course you couldn't' LOL

Hey Sprucey, is your furnace taking in as much air as it's putting out??

Sorry it's that Anal thing again LOLOLOL

I would forget the return duct and go with a tranfer grille, if possible. Now you need only to worry about the supply.
    Can you find another way to the attic and then put the new supply in the ceiling?