+ Reply to Thread

Default kitchen cabinet refinish

I need a step by step for refinishing 1950's era kitchen cabinets. They seem to be solid enough wood for sanding with a random orbit sander. They are faded with water spots and some crackling of the finish in places. I'd like to sand off the old finish and restain a darker more contemporary color. They are very solid and have a lot of character. Never been painted! I love them and want to bring them back to life. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: kitchen cabinet refinish

Quote Originally Posted by cottagemadness View Post
    I need a step by step for refinishing 1950's era kitchen cabinets. They seem to be solid enough wood for sanding with a random orbit sander. They are faded with water spots and some crackling of the finish in places. I'd like to sand off the old finish and restain a darker more contemporary color. They are very solid and have a lot of character. Never been painted! I love them and want to bring them back to life. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Hello, Sanding is a way to go, unless you have a "dipping" service in your area. These services will dip the whole cabinet or cabinet doors into a solution which strips them very nicely. Yes they do cost money but if you look at your time and materials to do it yourself it will pay off unless you have time and enjoy doing it yourself.It becomes a task to strip these items especially if there is heavy stain,varnish or paint on them.If you have a "dipping" service near you, get a price and do your math to see if it pays to do it yourself. Some of these services strip to a "Like New" finish for you to do refinishing.Hope this helps. GregC