+ Reply to Thread

Question Light fixture on 1st floor causing a warm spot on 2nd floor

Hello, I live in a 2nd floor condo (built approx. 1975) and I've noticed lately that I am getting a warm spot on my tile floor on a spot that I know directly below it is a ceiling light fixture. The spot is only warm when the light is on downstairs, and it's cool when the tenant is not home and the light is off.

I'm almost certain I've felt this before in another part of my house on the tile, so I'm not sure if this is a normal transference of heat from the light being on a long time, or if this is something that can become hazardous. If the spot was warm when the light was off I'd definitely be concerned, but that is not the case.

Default Re: Light fixture on 1st floor causing a warm spot on 2nd floor

it is simply just heat transference. nothing to worry about at all. consider yourself lucky, you're getting free radiant heating on your tile floors.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    it is simply just heat transference. nothing to worry about at all. consider yourself lucky, you're getting free radiant heating on your tile floors.
    As you say it may be nothing, unless they put larger lamps in their light.

If the condo replaces lamps I would have them check it out.

Or, if the OP has a good relationship with the downstairs tenant they might see is the lamp size exceeds what the label allows.

Overlamping can caused the wire and sockets to fail and cause a fire.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

It is good for you to check with the downstairs tenant, and be sure there is no rated problem in the ceiling fixture or its bulbs.

Remember those EZ Bake Ovens ?

Drop by and have a chat with the downstairs owner. Cause a small distraction so you can look at the wattage of the light bulb. If its 75 or less I wouldn't worry. If it looks like one of them heat lamps from over the french fries at Burger King, you might bring up the subject.

I don't know how many ceiling fixtures I have dropped for painting over the years and found the dry wall thoroughly scorched from either too big of bulbs being used or just badly designed fixtures with a totally enclosed globes.

I have been slowly replacing all the incadescent bulbs in my house with the Cree LED bulbs sold at Home Depot. They burn dramatically cooler. I have three of the 90 watt equivalent flood lights in my kitchen can lights. After being on for a prolonged period, I can still hold my hand on the bulb.

Like ordjen, I've seen the scorching too, even to seeing the paper on the drywall actually charred into ash The piece of insulation which comes with a ceiling fixture is there for a reason but I've seen many where it was removed to make installation easier. Do speak with the downstairs owner expressing your concerns- I don't think they want a fire hazard either, and they may not understand that just because a bulb screws in does not mean it is safe to use it in that fixture!

Phil