+ Reply to Thread

Question Thermostat keeps tripping off every few days

WE have an electric water heater. Recently, I have had to reset the thermostat on the unit several times. I checked the elements with a multimeter. Checking both elements separately, on Rx200K, I got no indication of a ground due to a bad element. I had turned the thermostat on both elements up all the way. (When we first moved into the house 3 years ago, you could run the hot water in the master shower, and never have to turn the cold water on. So, I turned the temp up on both elements.)

I can't think of anything else to do toher than to replace the Klixon itself.

I would appreciate any and all help on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Buddy Dennis

Default Re: Thermostat keeps tripping off every few days

The site below has an elaborate troubleshooting procedure for elec water heaters using a multimeter.

At the site, click onto SOLVE A PROBLEM, then onto TANKLETS ,then onto ELECTRIC WATER HEATER ISSUES.

Be careful--there's 240 volts in there.

Some of the other posters will probably chime in on this as well.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com

zephyr,

*If* you mean that you're running out of hot water or that the hot water temps seem erratic......

Any chance that your WH is plumbed backwards? (IOW, the cold incoming supply is hooked up to the hot side of the WH and vice-versa)

You might have a defective/broken dip-tube. (Don't now the age of your WH) http://www.rustylayton.com/htmlxtra/diptube.html

Any chance you have a cross-connection somewhere in the plumbing lines? (hot and cold lines connected together where they shouldn't be)

Related subject to the above........Are there any Y-type connectors in the house? (such as those sometimes used on basement hose bibs to blend hot and cold to a garden hose for various purposes) If both the hot and cold side to one of these Y connnectors are left open........there's your cross connection.

In my opinion, you should never turn the thermostats all the way up on a water heater. It wastes energy and is probably just getting the tank hot enough to trip the thermal protection. Try turning the thermostats down.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

JacktheShack .... good link.

It almost sounds as though what ****hiller and JLM discuss are related to the problem ..... inadequate hot water and turning up the thermostat tripping the reset.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    In my opinion, you should never turn the thermostats all the way up on a water heater. It wastes energy and is probably just getting the tank hot enough to trip the thermal protection. Try turning the thermostats down.
    Jack
    I concur. Replaced a water heater for a couple down the road this winter. The old one had been plumbed in back-azz-wards for 30 years. They tried compensating by turning the thermo all the way up .......but that tripped the high-limit. Turned it down a tad and lived with it all these years. Why???????....is beyond me. Woulda required 30 minutes and $5 of material to reverse the hook-up. Ain't that they didn't know about the backwards plumb job. Saw it when down there in the basement on a different job approx. 15 years ago and showed 'em. They just shrugged. Didn't seem to care , but at the same time.....often complained about a hot water shortage. Lead a horse to water......can't make 'em drink. <G>