+ Reply to Thread

Question How to find cause of wet drywall above shower stall and how to fix

In my bathroom, the drywall above the shower stall on the wall where the shower water spout is located is wet. I'm not sure if it's a plumbing problem inside the wall or just water splashing up from use of the shower. The wet area covers about 2 inches above the top of the shower stall. What would you recommend?

Default Re: How to find cause of wet drywall above shower stall and how to fix

Possibly either or both are causing the problem. Since this wet area needs to be repaired you might cut it open to have a look inside the wall to see what's what.
    This will also let you see how much repair will needed as well.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Because the appropriate drywall was not used, this happened in my bathroom. Areas that will be directly exposed to water or steam, water resistant or "dry-wick" sheet rock should be used.

Use galvanized sheet rock screws to attach the drywall. It is important to use appropriate primer before using the appropriate paint (water resistant paint/primers). I recommend using fiberglass tape instead of paper tape for joints. Don't forget to use waterproof sealant where the drywall joins the edge of the tub/shower enclosure.
    Last edited by bluedog58; 02-05-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Thumbs up Re: How to find cause of wet drywall above shower stall and how to fix

probably water splashing back.
    Or it might be a small leak on the shower arm threads. What I did in my house is I found some marked down tile and put 3 rows of tile around edge of shower Prevented any more problem and looks nice.

ummm not trying to be argumentative but. no such thing as water resistent drywall. there is moisture resistant but it isn't water resistent. any drywall that gets wet will wick. and never heard of dry wick sheetrock. and fiberglass or paper tape won't make any difference. you use paper tape with bucket mud and mesh tape with set fast mud. different products for different applications. do like canuk suggested and cut out the rock and see if you find the problem if not then what it probally is that the drywall was hung to tight to the top of the shower allowing the water when sitting on top to wick up. hang the rock just over the lip of the shower by about 1/2 way and then caulk so if water is sitting on top it won't be touching the drywall