+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Outlet change

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Outlet change

    Hello, how do I convert a standard wall outlet to an outlet controlled by a wall switch? The outlet is in my attic and I have access to run the new switch into the house where I want it. I assume I have to change something in the outlet, but what??? What is my new wiring going to be?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    The Great White North

    Default Re: Outlet change

    All that's really needed to install the switch in series with the hot ( black or red ) to the receptacle.
    If you have acces to the cable supplying the receptacle cut the cable ---- install the box --- splice the whites and grounds together --- attach the blacks to the switch top and bottom screw connectors.


    Use 14/2 or 12/2 ( whichever is currently being used at the receptacle )
    The existing hot at the receptacle would be removed ---- spliced to the white (marked with black tape ) of the new cable ----- run to the bottom screw connector on the switch --- the black wire of the new cable attched to the top screw of the switch ---the other end attched to the receptacle.

    Make sure all splices are within the junction boxes.

    You have a switched receptacle
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010

    Default Re: Outlet change

    Thanks a ton.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts