+ Reply to Thread

Default Old house wall insulation

My house was built in the 20's. It's a double brick with the original plaster walls on the inside. I believe that there is no insulation. What would be the most effective way to insulate?

Default Re: Old house wall insulation

This chart will help you: http://www.energysavers.gov/your_hom.../mytopic=11510.

It sound like loose-fill, blown in insulation is a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by vesnas@sympatico.ca View Post
    My house was built in the 20's. It's a double brick with the original plaster walls on the inside. I believe that there is no insulation. What would be the most effective way to insulate?
    Not enough information to provide a detailed answer.
    I suspect this in Southern Ontario?

Is there any space between the plaster wall and the brick?

Is there old and original knob & tube wiring?

The less destructive and quickest method that would provide a good result would be to apply rigid foam over the plaster walls and cover with drywall.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Rigid foam over plaster and then drywall would be my vote as well. Simple lose fill through the plaster invites problems with the electrical depending on how it was done (exposed junctions/splices, etc) and issues with vapor condensation on the insulation.

The more effective way (and most expensive) would be to remove the plaster walls leaving the framing, put in insulative batts or spray foam and then a vapor barrier putting up drywall over it.

Consider rigid foam on the exterior with astucco finish. The thermal mass on the inside will help temper temperature swings and you don't give up interior space. A lot easier to live with the construction while happening outside than with tearing up the insides.