+ Reply to Thread

Default Hallway Wood Floors

I'm installing wood strip flooring in my addition which includes a long hallway. Since this is on grade slab I have the luxury of intalling the boards length-wise or width-wise. Which is generally preffered?

Default Re: Hallway Wood Floors

Flooring is usually installed so that it draws the eye in a particular direction. Hallways would generally get run the length, not the width. A caveat to this is the adjoining rooms and the size of the doorway leading to them. In an open floor plan, where one room flows into the next, you may want the hardwood run in a manner that is perpendicular to the hallway. In this case you may want to continue down the hall in the same orientation OR install a boarder around the room to make it it's own entity, then change the direction of the flooring to run with the hallway.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

As much as I love wood, I've been in these places where the flooring seemed to be some sort of stained concrete with a very smooth finish that appeared to be a sealed concrete. It's sweet. I would look into that as well. I assume with a slab, you have that option.

Over the slab is OSB. Over that are heat panels (Upnor). Over that will be the finish floor. So far I'm at 50/50 for opionions.

I would have to agree with A Spruce that the flooring in the hallway should be run down the length of the hall to draw your eye down the hallway. If you have a room that has the flooring laid in a different direction and there is a door there and not just an opening I would use a threshold. If it is an opening that flows into another room I like Spruce's suggestion of a boarder to separate the two floors. Hope this helps you out.

Mike

I'll most likely run down the hallway length wise. Hopefully the hallway (new construction) is perpendicular with the older part of the house (I think it is).

Quote Originally Posted by kjwilde View Post
    Hopefully the hallway (new construction) is perpendicular with the older part of the house (I think it is).
    I've yet to work in a house that was actually straight, square, plumb, or any other form of "true". The key is how you lay out the floor. For instance say that hallway is eight and a quarter flooring planks wide. Do you start at one side and work your way across, or do you split a plank a little more than half wide and start with that? The correct method is to start with the half plank OR find the center line of the hall and work off of that in both directions so that you've got an even reveal along both walls. You will also have more focal points along the hallway, so it's better to lay it as parallel to the walls as possible and fudge in rooms where furniture will hide irregularities along a wall.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!