+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carport Patio

Default Carport Patio

I'm Thinking of having a Carport with a Patio on top off of our Kitchen built.

Need some help with Materials that would hold the weight of a Tile floor tables and guests

Thanks for the help

REP

Default Re: Carport Patio

Quote Originally Posted by REP View Post
    I'm Thinking of having a Carport with a Patio on top off of our Kitchen built.

Need some help with Materials that would hold the weight of a Tile floor tables and guests

Thanks for the help

REP
    Please read your question again it makes no sense. I have no idea what you are asking.
    Harry

I'm going to go out on a limb here....

It sounds as though you would like to build a carport that will be attached to the home.
    The roof of this carport would be aligned with the roof over the kitchen and you would like to use this as a roof top deck ? In other words .... you will be parking a vehicle under a raised deck?

One thing for sure it will be an expensive venture.

The existing roof of the kitchen would have to be structred to become a "flat" roof with consideration to accomodate the extra loads of people and furniture.
    The carport structure and foundation will also be more substantial than that of a regular one.... as well the roof structure will be the same as the kitchen.

I would suggest starting with checking with your local municipal building department as to what they would require .

Then you can start adding the costs of what will be involved.

Just a thought.

Sorry
    My Carport now is one of the Alum. two carport flat tops. Not attached to the House. I want to replace it with a Brick columne type with a patio on top. So when I walk out the Kitchen door on to an outside landing (that is in place)take two steps up to a Patio. Would I have to go with steel floor joist? or is there a wood Joist that would hold the weight?

I hope this clears it up a bit

Thanks

REP

Thanks for the clarification ....

You should still check with your local building department as to the requirements.

They may have different classifications in which this may be a carport with a roof top deck or it may be classified as a raised deck.

For example .... if classified as a carport they may require a "flat roof" constructed from plywood covered with an appropriate roof membrane..... besides you might want this anyway so as not to have water dripping on the vehicles below.

There will be considerations as to the footings required for the columns .... depth and size of the footings.

Pressure treated wood joists may likely be used .... the size and spacing will depend on what loads will exist .... as well as the size of the structure and what type and size of the intermediate supporting beam as well the number of columns
    The loads will be determined by what will be the roof structure , snow loads ( if applicable ) size of structure etc..

Again this will be determined by your local municipal building department.

Hope this helps.

SNOW?
    Whats that
    We haven't had a good snow in 10 years in this part of western NC. Piedmont

Thanks for the input

REP

Quote Originally Posted by REP View Post
    SNOW?
    Whats that
    We haven't had a good snow in 10 years in this part of western NC. Piedmont

Thanks for the input

REP
    You'll have to forgive canuk, he lives in a place that has one climate - winter whiteout.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You got that right .... it's currently snowing as I type .... Geez.

I think that investigating your local building codes wouldn't be enough, basically you want to build a room up there so decking codes won't be enough when you add tile and good sub flooring to handle the tile, grout, and cement board.

Honestly, I would rethink the tile. Most of it is slick when even the slightest moisture gathers on it (dew and fog) and the changing temperatures will affect it and the grout. You have summer's like mine, high humidity, rain and over 100* for a few months right?

As far as having a deck over your carport I say that would be an awesome addition.

Floating it over a flat roofing membrane would protect your cars from water and still give you a beautiful deck. Don't forget stairs for and emergency exit and very safe railings.

Have fun planning.
    Debby in Oklahoma

I have a steel staircase that goes up the side of the house. The first landing is the Kitchen door. I want to be able to walk out the door and two steps up onto the patio. I don't want water to go through to the cars below. So a membrane will be needed.
    My concern is what type of Material for the floor Steel or wood. What will hold the load of people ,tables. And all the other stuff that goes with a patio.I'm thinking of a 20x20. For this size span Would I have to have support Columns down the center between the two parked cars? for support. I would rather not if I can get by with out them.

REP