+ Reply to Thread

Default Wall Tile/Floor Transition Around Tub

I have a new tub installation and have backerboard installed, floor tile in place. I'm about to tile the surround and I'm wondering about the tile that will go along the wall at the base of the tub. I will have 3" wood baseboards in the rest of the room. My question is do I take the baseboard and butt it up to the side of the tub and tile to the top of the baseboard or do I take my wall tile to the floor and butt the baseboard to the side of the tile? I'm worried about the look of the transition in these two areas (both sides of the tub).

*The tile is a 12" bullnose that will essentially go from the floor to the ceiling on both sides of the tub. All ceramic tile (floor and tub surround).

I can provide a pic if I'm not explaining this thoroughly.

Unhappy Re: Wall Tile/Floor Transition Around Tub

Well, either I didn't explain myself throughly enough or no one has an opinion on this.

I've decided to take my 3" baseboard to the side of the tub and tile from the wall down to the top of the baseboard. I'm not sure how it will look but it's better than having no transition from the wall tile to the floor tile. I can't use a cove since the tile I have doesn't make a piece like that.

This may be a matter of opinion - would've been nice to at least have some opinions on this.

Default Re: Wall Tile/Floor Transition Around Tub

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    Well, either I didn't explain myself throughly enough or no one has an opinion on this.

I've decided to take my 3" baseboard to the side of the tub and tile from the wall down to the top of the baseboard. I'm not sure how it will look but it's better than having no transition from the wall tile to the floor tile. I can't use a cove since the tile I have doesn't make a piece like that.

This may be a matter of opinion - would've been nice to at least have some opinions on this.
    Hello, Yes it is a matter of opinion but it is YOU who has to like it. I have done a couple jobs this way and I have butted my baseboard to the tub then ran the tile down to it. I have even made a custom block (like a rosette block) thicker than your base and tile, to match the base board, placing it against the tub, butting the tile down to it and the baseboard to it. This breaks the obvious transition. Try taking a piece of your baseboard and tile placing it there see what looks best to you. There are different ways to do it but you have to live with it and like it of course. Let someone else look at it and get their opinion.Hope to help.GregC

Default Re: Wall Tile/Floor Transition Around Tub

Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    Hello, Yes it is a matter of opinion but it is YOU who has to like it. I have done a couple jobs this way and I have butted my baseboard to the tub then ran the tile down to it. I have even made a custom block (like a rosette block) thicker than your base and tile, to match the base board, placing it against the tub, butting the tile down to it and the baseboard to it. This breaks the obvious transition. Try taking a piece of your baseboard and tile placing it there see what looks best to you. There are different ways to do it but you have to live with it and like it of course. Let someone else look at it and get their opinion.Hope to help.GregC
    Thanks for the reply Greg. I think I can probably live with whatever but when I'm working in my house, I'm always looking at things from the buyer's perspective. In other words, if I did some shoddy work in my house, would it keep my house from selling? Not that I want/need to move any time soon...

Great idea on the rosette block, I might see what I can do with that. For now, the baseboards are in (not that they cannot be removed and modified) so I will see how things look with my bullnose tile.