+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink convert old master closet into a laundry room

We are converting our old master bedroom closet into a laundry room. The main wall shares the master bath sinks on the other side. So there is plumbing and drainage that we can add on to? I am not sure where to start? The electrical is taken care of. Plumbing seems so overwhelming. Is it possible?

Default Re: convert old master closet into a laundry room

Yes, it is possible, but it's not as easy as just tapping into the vanity drains. The biggest problem is that the vanity drains are smaller than what the laundry drain should be. I believe there is also an issue with having other fixtures plumbed into the laundry drain, it has to be it's own entity.

What I would recommend is consulting with both an electrician and a plumber to come and assess the needs of the laundry room and give you estimates on what it will take to do the job. It can be done, but not quite as easily as you're thinking.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

IF the drain that serves the MB sinks is a 2-inch line, then you could cut in a 2" tee BELOW the tee(s) that serve the sinks. The new tee must be in the VERTICAL portion of the existing drain line, and above the floor level.

This new tee will be the start of a trap arm that runs to the p-trap that will serve the new washer standpipe. Be aware that there is a limit on the length of the new trap arm. It should not be over 60". (Some plumbing codes allow up to 8 feet, but you would be safe with 60" or less.)

Perhaps you might consider contacting the building department to also inquire about the need for a floor drain to be installed for this laundry area.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I would put a floor drain in even if it not Code, It can be a blessing if you get a water break. You may want to consider installing a trap primer also, at times traps dry out. You dont want the room smelling like theres a dead animal in there lol

http://www.accentshopping.com/product.asp?P_ID=153836
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Post Re: convert old master closet into a laundry room

Thanks for the great advice. I contacted two plumbers and received proposals of $650.00. I think I may be doing the work myself with some good research. I am comfortable about the drain work it is the water valves that I am not quite sure of. We live in a single story home. The valves run parallel in the wall up to the ceiling and around a door next to the sink.

IMHO, water lines are easier to deal with than drains and venting, so if you're up to the challenge of the drains, Unless you've got galvanized pipes, you can more than handle the supply lines too.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I saw the Laundry Room Video on Plumbing - How to add a sink valves to laundry supply lines. I thought if I just followed those steps I may be safe. Except I would be adding laundry supply lines to the sink vales. What do you think? They always make things look so easy. Hope I can do it?

Without seeing what you're working with, it would be difficult to offer a means to add the supply lines you need.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    IMHO, water lines are easier to deal with than drains and venting, so if you're up to the challenge of the drains, Unless you've got galvanized pipes, you can more than handle the supply lines too.
    Are the pipes copper, galvanized, PEX, or what?