+ Reply to Thread

Thread: breakfast bar

Question breakfast bar

I am planning to cut the wall between my kitchen and dining room in half and create a breakfast bar. I feel comfortable with removing the wall and adding the counter. I would like the finish work to look professional and I plan to finish the opening with 1 x 6 finish wood and stain or paint.
    I would like to create a barrel effect at the top and I'm not sure how to go about this. Is there a form available I can purchase or should I try to bend wood. 1 x 6 is too thick to bend, so how would I match the wood on the sides? Can I notch the back of a 1 x 6 to make it bendable?
    I really could use some tips to educate myself in how this is done.

Thanks,
    Sam

Default Re: breakfast bar/picture

attached is picture of the wall I want to cut in half.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	breakfast bar wall 001.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	3108  

Default Re: breakfast bar

Use 1/4" plywood. It will bend the the curve without problem. When you finish the rough opening, install blocking along the arc to nail the plywood to. For fire blocking purposes, you should also finish the drywall under the plywood and trim.

The arched face can also be handled with plywood, then either veneer the edges or install scribe molding (1/4" x 3/4 material ). Scribe mold is usually bendy enough for larger arcs.

Before you cut the hole in the wall, be certain that it is not a load bearing wall. If it is, you'll need to install a header to carry the weight
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: breakfast bar

We just did the same thing! Our kitchen was too narrow and closed off, so we opened up a wall and added a butcherblock peninsula. My advice: please make sure the wall your are knocking down is not load-bearing. Ours was, and it took some extra precautions (hubby is an engineer, but we still needed to consult an architect and a contractor friend.

If you want to see some of our pictures, I have a blog: fiftieskitchenredo.blogspot.com.

Good luck!!
    Last edited by FiftiesRedo; 04-24-2011 at 03:50 AM.