+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Water Pressuer Woes!!

at the first outlet off the water meter where the line goes to the house, i have good, strong pressure comming out from there and from the other outside outlet (there's only 2), but the pressure throughout the house is substancialy lower, probbaly less than half of what it shuld be. my house has a concrete foundation and was built in 1955. i don't have a clue what to try. can you PLEASE help me?!?!!!!!!

I dont know what the pipe lines are made from or their size or how many elbows or tee's, I've not made changes to any part of it. I have been in the house for about 7 years and I didn't have a problem at first, it seems to have been gradually building up.
    Last edited by kriksubnav; 01-13-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: additional info

Default Re: Water Pressuer Woes!!

Is the pipe size reduced after the tee's that supply the outside faucets?

Reduced pipe size combined with the restrictions caused by more elbows and tees in the downstream line can result in substantial loss of flow.

Dido that, especially when you have gavanized pipe. Generally tee fittings reduce the volume in the center of the tee, since that normally connects to your sink, dishwasher, etc. That coupled with the corrosion build-up in galavanized pipes, especially at the tee is what limits the flow to your faucet.

Unhappy Re: Water Pressuer Woes!!

dont know what the pipe lines are made from or their size or how many elbows or tee's, I've not made changes to any part of it. I have been in the house for about 7 years and I didn't have a problem at first, it seems to have been gradually building up

If you don't know these basic things, you may not be in a position to do much about this yourself. I say that because the solution to this will likely require a fair amount of ability and familiarity with plumbing. Not that you couldn't eventually get the job done, but the time, expense and frustration involved might make you wish you'd never started.

I think you need to hire a qualified plumber, just like many of us have to hire qualified auto mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by kriksubnav View Post
    at the first outlet off the water meter where the line goes to the house, i have good, strong pressure comming out from there and from the other outside outlet (there's only 2), but the pressure throughout the house is substancialy lower, probbaly less than half of what it shuld be.
    Is there a pressure regulator valve ( PRV ) ?
    The sediment screen may be plugged or the valve could nedd ajustment or it maybe on it's last legs.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by rdesigns View Post
    dont know what the pipe lines are made from or their size or how many elbows or tee's, I've not made changes to any part of it. I have been in the house for about 7 years and I didn't have a problem at first, it seems to have been gradually building up

If you don't know these basic things, you may not be in a position to do much about this yourself. I say that because the solution to this will likely require a fair amount of ability and familiarity with plumbing. Not that you couldn't eventually get the job done, but the time, expense and frustration involved might make you wish you'd never started.

I think you need to hire a qualified plumber, just like many of us have to hire qualified auto mechanics.
    I totaly get you on that one. I always try to think about things sensibly as possible, and i do have some mechanical ability, that is to say i can do some stuff, im just not to good at being always able to figure out exactly what the problem is. As I've mentioned every thing was preexisting.
    I'm not familiar with most of the plumbing particulars so i wouldn't know how to tell wether or not there's a pressure regulator within the system, what size the lines are or how many elbows or T's there are. I don't see anything out of the ordinary, so from what I've been able to tell, it seems that what I'm going to end up doing is rerunning the water lines. That is unless there's something else i can try.
    (By the way, thanks so very much for your help, any help I can get is more help than I had before. Thanks Very Much, ttntvb@aol.com)
    Last edited by kriksubnav; 01-14-2010 at 04:23 AM.

If you believe you can run new lines, that would be the best, and maybe easiest solution.

Running new lines is not beyond your ability, I think, because of the ease of installation with new PEX and CPVC materials. The hard part of any plumbing is not running the pipe itself--it's making/finding a PLACE for the pipes to run. So, if you have access to the places where the new pipes will need to go, you've got the battle half-won.

Good luck.

As I have mentioned, I'm not familiar with the particulars of plumbing, but it seems pretty simple as long as you pay attention to what your doing. Is there anything that I shuld be aware of that i might not be aware of - size of pipes, do i need a prv or any thing that you might think that I may not think of, ya know - me not being a plumber and all? I think it seema pretty simple and straight foreward. again any help I can get is more than what I had before. And thanks again, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Smile Re: Water Pressuer Woes!!

Go to aceduraflo.com or fixmypipes .com they have ways of cleaning and relining you pipes without desruction

As I have mentioned, I'm not familiar with the particulars of plumbing, but it seems pretty simple as long as you pay attention to what your doing. Is there anything that I shuld be aware of that i might not be aware of - size of pipes, do i need a prv or any thing that you might think that I may not think of, ya know - me not being a plumber and all? I think it seema pretty simple and straight foreward. again any help I can get is more than what I had before. And thanks again, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

If there's no PRV on the system now, you shouldn't need one.
    A 3/4" line will be large enough to supply one bathroom group; branches to individual fixtures can be 1/2".