+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radiant Heating

Default Radiant Heating

I took up the three layers of floor covering I have in the kitchen only to find a layer of what looks like tar on the sub-floor.

This may be glue that held the first covering down.

Problem is that I cannot remove this tar like substance.

I am afraid that the radiant heating will cause noxious fumes if installed over this stuff.

This is a ceiling to floor do-over; four years in the making and now we are at a stand still. Any one have any ideas or have the same experience?

In appreciation, Meri

Default Re: Radiant Heating

Meri:

Don't get discouraged, you deserve credit for hanging in there for such a long period of time.

One approach may be to drill some holes in a corner with a doorknob hole bit attached to a drill & see if you can get thru it & how thick it is; using a sawzall (reciprocating saw) at that point may do the trick if you want to remove the sub-floor.

If you do use a reciprocating saw, be very careful not to cut any electrical or plumbing lines; look before you cut.

Home Depot & others rent tools like chipping hammers with wide blade bits that may be able to break it up (it must be hard & brittle by now).

If all else fails, you can always pull the subfloor down to the floor joists & install a new layer of plywood.

At the site below, click onto "products" then onto "radiant floor heating" to view different radiant heat floor methods and illustrations.

http://www.rosebudelectric.com
    Last edited by dodsworth; 01-13-2010 at 12:48 AM.

Default Re: Radiant Heating

Dodsworth:

Thanks for your reply. I also wanted to just rip up the sub-floor, but for some reason that idea was not good. I will show your reply to Andy, the person helping me with this project.

He will better understand the reasoning why we cannot take this route. Gosh I just hate to put back those baseboard heaters again.
    I have nothing but hammering in them as it is now.

Best, meri