+ Reply to Thread

Default How to removed glazed paint job on sheetrock walls?

I am a home improvement contractor who has been requested to paint a large portion of a home's interior (sheetrock) walls that were previously painted with a glaze accent coat over the primary color.
    The glaze is not smooth, so it has to be removed prior to re-painting the walls. Is any one aware of the best way to remove the glaze, other than sanding everything?

Default Re: How to removed glazed paint job on sheetrock walls?

Kbisarro,

A glazed wall would not normally have enough texture so that it would show through another coat of paint. Glaze is merely an clear acrylic resin or oil based product. The acrylic glazing material would probably not sand well anyhow. An oil based glaze should readily sand and dust up.

Have you tried primeing and painting a section of this glaze? I would be surprised if the glazing showed through. One way or the other, you will want to prime the glaze to blank out the old color, and more importantly, to assure that the new paint sticks to the slick glzed surface. A good acrylic primer such as Glidden's "Gripper" or Behrs No.75 Undercoater will do this.

You might also consider deliberately using a slightly longer knapp roller cover to intentionally leave slightly more roller texture than normal.

If these ideas don't give satisfaction, you are back to sanding the glaze. I doubt that this will give good results all by itself. The other option is to go over the walls with a skim coat of drywall topping compound and then sanding and primeing.