+ Reply to Thread

Default Cold draft coming through return ducts

I have a 2 zone hydronic heating system, one for each floor and each has an air handler. The second floor air handler is in the attic and the intake vents are located in the ceiling. When the system is off, cold air gushes out of the intake vent. The duct work is insulated and there are no cracks where the ducts meet the ceiling. Any suggestions on how to stop the draft would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Anthony

Default Re: Cold draft coming through return ducts

The cold air has to be getting in your furnace somehow, are the panels to your furnace on secure with no big gaps?? You could always get some foil tape and tape it where the air may be getting in, you'll also keep the warm air from escaping this way. Good Luck!!

All that is in the attic is the air handler and duct work. Hot water is pumped up from the basement to the coil in the air handler. WHen the system is off, the cold air pours back through the return vent. I checked to make sure the ducts are insulated and that there are no gaps in the air handler. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Anthony

I assume that the air handler uses a filter, check the cover for it. If there are air gaps in the filter cover (most have them) then it is probably letting cold air in to the system this way. Its a pain, but just use a little metal HVAC tape over the cover. Its easy enough to peel off and reapply every few months when you replace the filter.

Other then that, you have gaps somewhere in the duct work if the filter cover isn't the cause.

I agree with azazel1024@hotmail.com, we tape over all the panels. If your ever up in the attic when it's on go over by it , you'll hear it whistling more than likely, other than that hard to say, gotta be a leak someplace. Good Luck!!!

The insulation around the ducts will be of little use. Basically you have your heating system outside. The best thing to do is to spray foam the underside of the roof deck and bring the heating/cooling equipment inside. You will be more comfortable and save a ton of money on heating and cooling. You will get rid of the ice dams and icicles you probably have too. Are you in New England? I can help Robert@Dr-Warm.com. I have made heating systems that "didn't work" function properly.