+ Reply to Thread

Default Need Advice on Large [UK] Home Repair Bill

Hi,
    My wife has recently inherited an old family home, unfortunately it is in a great deal of disrepair.
    I have asked some local builders for some quotes, the average total reparation cost comes to around £60-70k.
    I just wanted to run the quote past someone and see if these figures sound about right.

Heres a quick overview:

Its a 3 bedroom semi 1930s home. Its in poor structural and cosmetic condition, furthermore it requires full modernisation including: windows, drainage, plumbing, & electrics & removal of asbestos in ceilings.
    There seems to be a great deal of rot and water damage that was visible after we removed the wall paper and carpets.

Furthermore the extension is in disrepair. The flat roof is leaking and ivy has penetrated the walls.

I donít know too much about these types of houses but from what I understand many were built in the UK between the wars.

My concerns:
    The total seems like a lot, but at the same time it has not been looked after or lived in for many years.
    Do the quotes sound excessive?
    Its it even worth doing all the work?
    Shall I just sell the property as is?

I would really appreciate any advice.

Default Re: Need Advice on Large [UK] Home Repair Bill

Not familiar with the labor rates in the UK, but from what you described it doesn't sound out of line to me.

You will have to make the decision. What would it cost to replace the house? Is there any sentimental value that needs to be considered? In its present condition is it salable? Would the property be worth more than the current value plus the remodle costs?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

£60-70k is about $100- $116k

Difficult to say from here since many factors dictate how much to invest.
    The main one being the value of the property if those repairs were done.
    If the value of the home is only worth say 100K ---- is it worth it to spend the money only to return a profit of 30k ---- versus selling the property as is for 30-50k ?
    More than likely the numbers that had been quoted to you may very well increase as the project is underway. Chances are good there will be many unforseen issues that will be extra --- also the local restrictions for planning departments , code requirements and the like.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Seems I duplicated some of Jack's comments ---- Slow 2 finger typing
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Seems I duplicated some of Jack's comments ---- Slow 2 finger typing
    You didn't get into another fight with a chainsaw did you?

I used to be a two finger key beater as well. It wasn't until I started participating on forums that I taught myself how to properly type. It makes a world of difference being able to beat the keys a little faster. (you can get your posts in faster than the other smarTpants. )
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    You didn't get into another fight with a chainsaw did you?
    I used to be a two finger key beater as well. It wasn't until I started participating on forums that I taught myself how to properly type. It makes a world of difference being able to beat the keys a little faster. (you can get your posts in faster than the other smarTpants. )
    LOL --- yep doing stump removal
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    LOL --- yep doing stump removal
    You're so bad! LOL
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!