+ Reply to Thread

Question Bad draining kitchen sink

A few months ago this problem started, when I run water down the garbage disposal side of the sink and have the disposal on, water starts backing up in the other side sink. When I shut off the disposal power the water drains. The disposal is only about 3 years old. I cleaned all of the lines under the sink but could the drain be clogged once it goes into the wall and to the city sewer? Or is there something wrong with my garbage disposal drain? I looked inside the main disposal part (from sink)and removed the drain line leaving the disposal under the sink and didn't see anything clogged. It's like when the garbage disposal is running it don't want to drain correctly.

Default Re: Bad draining kitchen sink

More than likely there is a partial blockage in the horizontal ( lateral ) run in the wall.
    With a disposal and/or dishwasher they inject all sorts of grease and garbage into the drain lines. When all that debris builds up the inside of the pipe starts closing and clogging the lines. There will be enough of an opening to allow the water to flow from the sink but when the dishwasher and/or disposal run they are pumps --- more volume and more pressure plus the partial blockage = back up

Removing the "P" trap and snake the line should clear things.

Hopefully this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    More than likely there is a partial blockage in the horizontal ( lateral ) run in the wall.
    With a disposal and/or dishwasher they inject all sorts of grease and garbage into the drain lines. When all that debris builds up the inside of the pipe starts closing and clogging the lines. There will be enough of an opening to allow the water to flow from the sink but when the dishwasher and/or disposal run they are pumps --- more volume and more pressure plus the partial blockage = back up

Removing the "P" trap and snake the line should clear things.

Hopefully this helps.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try snaking it out before I go out and buy a new disposal.
    One thing I didn't mention was on the drain line under the sink before it goes into the wall there's some kind of thing on the drain line that looks like it allows air into the line. It has small opening around the top of it like an air fresher would have. It there any way that could of gotten clogged?
    It's on top of the drain line so I don't how it could. It glued in so I can't remove it unless I cut it out.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try snaking it out before I go out and buy a new disposal.
    One thing I didn't mention was on the drain line under the sink before it goes into the wall there's some kind of thing on the drain line that looks like it allows air into the line. It has small opening around the top of it like an air fresher would have. It there any way that could of gotten clogged?
    It's on top of the drain line so I don't how it could. It glued in so I can't remove it unless I cut it out.