+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Build

Question New Build

I would like to put rigid insulation on the inside walls then finish inside with sheetrock in most rooms. This is in addition to rigid insulation on the outside and figerglass batting between the studs. The question: Can you put rigid on the inside walls and can I expect any future typical problems or worrys if I do it that way?:

Default Re: New Build

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    you can do it however it will make hanging drywall much harder unless you plan on putting strapping over the foam nailed to the studs. if you hung the drywall directly over the foam you need much longer drywall screws which creates more chance for screw pops
    Interesting, I read it as more putting the rigid between the studs. Hadn't thought of a surface application. IMHO, a surface application would work better than internal for a number of reasons, though as you point out, doing the drywall will be much tougher and it will cause issues around doors and wall penetrations (switches, outlets, etc. )

If it were me I'd probably opt for spray foam insulation, that way no drywall or clearance issues will come up. The only thing is that once you fill the wall with insulation, there's no longer the ability to run new wiring later if need be. If it were me, I'd make sure that every room had plenty of electrical and every room, including bathrooms, had tv, computer, and phone lines run to them. Additional thoughts would be futures for internal speaker system or an intercom system.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

enough book learning words.
    Now you're just being a smarTpants!

Just goes to show, you hang out around here long enough and you pick up something new.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thumbs up Re: New Build

thanx for all the good advice and information....should have found this site a long time ago

If your going over the studs you will need to build out(extend) the windows and doors.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Da,,I see Spruce mentioned windows already......
    Gizmo

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

or the screws that are for the security plate under the latch bolt for your deadbolt wont hit anything
    That's ok, spray foam is structural anyway, right?

Depending on how thick the foam is the nails for the door/window trim will be pretty long. Whats the difference in price and
    R-Value between foam and Thermo-Ply. Thermo-Plys not as thick as the foam. For some reason I think it also has a 1hr fire rating also.
    When using foam in the interior of a home are there any toxic fumes produced if theres a fire.
    Gizmo

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Depending on how thick the foam is the nails for the door/window trim will be pretty long. Whats the difference in price and
    R-Value between foam and Thermo-Ply. Thermo-Plys not as thick as the foam. For some reason I think it also has a 1hr fire rating also.
    When using foam in the interior of a home are there any toxic fumes produced if theres a fire.
    Probably less than the items like carpet , furniture , plastics , etc. that are already burning before the foam insulation starts burning.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy1 View Post
    I would like to put rigid insulation on the inside walls then finish inside with sheetrock in most rooms. This is in addition to rigid insulation on the outside and figerglass batting between the studs. The question: Can you put rigid on the inside walls and can I expect any future typical problems or worrys if I do it that way?:
    Yep---- this is done from time to time when homes that have minimum insulation in the walls ----- instead of tearing them down it can be somewhat economical to apply rigid foam over existing walls and covering with new drywall .
    However --- the considersations for door frames , window frame and electrical extending as previously mentioned.

If you do apply the rigid foam as you explained will be a good system for a continious thermal break as mentioned by Sprucey and jkirk.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush