+ Reply to Thread

Default Stain project gone bad

I have gotten myself in a predicament trying to rush through a bunch of work on a vacation rental property before the next guests arrive. A strip of wood trim on the side of a tile kitchen counter was looking bad with the finish worn. I sanded--but probably not enough. I applied Minwax wood finish/stain, let it sit 15 minutes and wiped off the excess. 18 hours later it's not dry. I did another hard wipe down to take off more excess finish. Better now but still tacky.

I know I botched the wood prep, and I didn't even know this was an oil-based product until I went to clean up after! But the question is, what to do now, given a significant time constraint: guests arrive at the house in 2.5 days, and the most important thing is to have no wet/tacky finish by that time. Should I leave it alone and hope it drys? Should I apply a poly coat? Should I use a solvent to try to take off what I put on yesterday? Thanks for your help!

Elyria, Oh.

Default Re: Stain project gone bad

Paint thinner will remove the tackiness. Wipe it with thinner then wipe it with a dry rag to remove any excess stain and thinner. It should dry almost immediately. You have to wait at least 24 hours before applying poly or until it is completely dry.

Fayette County, Ohio

Default Re: Stain project gone bad

My guess is you didn't get the oil and grease off before you applied the Minwax. Do as CaptTCB suggested to clean the area. The thinner should remove the remaining grease and oil also. Minwax would not be my choice for finishing.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb