+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Unhappy tub Faucet Mixer

I have a tub faucet mixer that I suspect is breaking down. The shower will be hot but when I switch over to the tub the water sometimes gets warm and then cold. If I wait a 10 minutes and turn it on again it will be hot but not always. I thought it was the hot water running out as I have my water heated by the furnace (forced hot water) but the shower will remain hot while the tub faucet plays these games. This is a round mixer with the lever to switch from shower to tub and another lever to raise the temperature.
    Sorry to be so imprecise but that's why I'm writing here.

Is this mixer problem and is this a tricky fix and what do new mixers/faucet controls cost to buy and install via a plumber.

Default Re: tub Faucet Mixer

Quote Originally Posted by Mezsop View Post
    I have a tub faucet mixer that I suspect is breaking down. The shower will be hot but when I switch over to the tub the water sometimes gets warm and then cold. If I wait a 10 minutes and turn it on again it will be hot but not always. I thought it was the hot water running out as I have my water heated by the furnace (forced hot water) but the shower will remain hot while the tub faucet plays these games. This is a round mixer with the lever to switch from shower to tub and another lever to raise the temperature.
    Sorry to be so imprecise but that's why I'm writing here.

Is this mixer problem and is this a tricky fix and what do new mixers/faucet controls cost to buy and install via a plumber.
    Hello, first start by the manufacturer name on faucet. If it is a Moen brand, the cartridge inside has a lifetime warranty, you just call Moen and they will send you another free of charge. Next it maybe a loose washer, spring or cup inside the mixing valve. All valves are different so its hard to say what you have.If you need to purchase a new mixing valve, install a Moen, they are no doubt the best and have a lifetime warranty.As far as price per plumber, it all depends on who and what they have to do. Mixing valve run from $50.00 to $200.00, plumbers charge approximatly $60-$80.00 per hour or a flat fee. Hope this helps.GregC, Quick Belt System

Default Re: tub Faucet Mixer

Thanks for the suggestion. My faucet mixer is a Symmons but they also have a life time warranty. But the guy at Symmons told me how to get to the part that needs to be soaked in white vinegar for 20 minutes. He claims that will do the trick. We will see.

Mezsop