+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Second Zone

Default Second Zone

Hi all I live in Ct, have a home built in 1939 with oil heat. I have a Weil-McLain 68 boiler with the 2 bedrooms and living room with radiators and the bathroom and dinning room with baseboard heaters.I have little to no heat going to my bathroom and dinning room a plummer wants to put the bathroom and dinning room on a second zone. Will this fix my lack of heat going to these rooms. Any help would be great thanks

Default Re: Second Zone

Ordinarily, yes; this is a common way to add heat to rooms where greater heat control is needed.

But I would like to have more info---why are the baseboards not working & have they tried to get them going???

What did the service tech say when he came over--the first step is to try & get the malfunctioning baseboard heating again, not incur more expense for a piping system already in place.

Could you also post the output of the boiler (there should be a label on the front of the boiler), and the total square footage of the building.

What did they say would be the cost of the project---they would have to put in TWO zones--one for the bathroom/dining room & one for the rest of the house---this could cost big bucks when a more simple solution would get the baseboards heating again without the need for zone valves or zone circulators.

Check out the piping arrangements at the site below to see if you can determine what type of piping arrangement you have going to the bathroom/dining room---often, a monoflo tee is added to the piping for problem baseboard & this solves the problem.

To trace the piping, start at the boiler---the thick red line is the SUPPLY WATER going to the rads/baseboard, as noted in the diagrams, some piping loops are SERIES, while others are PARALLEL or TWO-PIPE LOOPS--- in your case, the hot water is probably bypassing the baseboards & leaving them cold.

One job is liable to cost you $800-$1000 while the other job will cost $50.

Please post back.

Last edited by NashuaTech; 01-09-2010 at 07:34 AM.