+ Reply to Thread

Question Trenchless Sewer Drain Replacement

Hello All,

Has anyone had any experience with trench-less drain replacement? I am referring to the method of pulling new pipe and pushing out the old. Will the pipe hold up to tree roots in the long term as effectively as a traditional PVC pipe? I have very old (and emo) sycamore trees in my front yard and want to disturb the roots as little as possible. However, the roots are destroying my terracotta sewage pipe. This seems like a practical solution.Plus, the price is only a few hundred more than digging a trench. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: Trenchless Sewer Drain Replacement

The trenchless methods of pipe replacement work very well to replace vitrified clay pipe that is failing. The disruption to your landscaping is reduced to two much smaller holes, a launch hole that the pipe enters and a receiving hole to connect to the existing pipe.
    I would recommend the pipe bursting method to maintain the same size pipe diameter, this method is where a cone shaped hammerhead breaks the pipe and pushes it out into the surrounding soil and pulls in a pipe of the same or larger diameter.
    The slip lining method would also work, however a smaller pipe is pulled through the existing pipe.
    HDPE pipe is usually used for the replacement pipe around here, the pipe is one continuous piece of pipe and is very durable. It eliminates the possibility of root intrusion at the joints like you have with the clay pipe.
    Slow The Flow

I've done this. The company pulled thru a 3" PVC thru a ceramic 4". It has worked fine for 6-7 years, it saved a huge amount of work and unnecessary destruction. I very happy with the results

Does anyone know the approximate cost per foot for completing this type of repair?

Thank you for all your thoughts! There was a 90 degree angle in my drain line that required digging up my whole front yard. One good thing did come of this though (other than being able to do laundry again) my galvanized water line was replaced as well. I'll have to wait to see how the tree does this spring.

As far as pricing goes; it's about 30 feet from my house to the street and it would have cost $5300 to push/pull the line in. But only $400 less to dig up my whole front yard.