+ Reply to Thread

Default Gypcrete over radiant heat piping

How long does gypcrete poured over radiant heat piping stapled to the subfloor last? Since concrete floors tend to crack, I'm assuming so would eventually gypcrete and create problem with the piping it is poured over?

Default Re: Gypcrete over radiant heat piping

Quote Originally Posted by cbfriend View Post
    How long does gypcrete poured over radiant heat piping stapled to the subfloor last? Since concrete floors tend to crack, I'm assuming so would eventually gypcrete and create problem with the piping it is poured over?
    What sort of problem with the piping are you referring to?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I thought once the gypcrete that is on top of the PEX piping cracks, it might be able to puncture the piping, hence creating leaks and I wouldn't even begin to wonder how one would fix a leak of PEX piping encased in the floor in a layer of gypcrete. Maybe this type of heating isn't a good option?

I'm in Michigan, it's new residential construction, no gas available. Is geothermal with radiant hydronic heat a good option? What about stapling the PEX pipes to the subfloor from below or placing the piping on top of the subfloor and encasing it with gypcrete?

What is your experience/opinion? No option seems that great/efficient/cost-effective.

Thanks.

IMHO Geothermal is the way to go! If I could afford it I would have it! Good Luck!!!

I'm installing hydronic heat now in an additon. I'm using ready made panels by Upnor that screw over the existing floor. It's supposed to be more efficient than having the tubing under the subfloor. Quite easy to install. I'm told there is a point at which the gypcrete option is more cost effective. Apparently I'm below that point at approx 1100sf.