+ Reply to Thread

Default toilet flange 1" above floor level

A few seasons ago I saw Richard reset a toilet that was very high above the floor. He used a spacer made for this pupose but also used a pvc plank to make a spacer that fit under the toilet in a different show. I have the same problem. Where can I find any product that will solve this problem. My local Home Depot never heard of pvc lumber. Thanks for the help.

Default Re: toilet flange 1" above floor level

That isn't a surprise about a big box.

There was a topic recently about where to find PVC lumber. An ****** source was listed I believe. You can search this forum for "pvc" and probably find it fairly easily.

Probably the most important thing with the spacer is that it be rot/water resistant. You can get that with Trex and other brands of engineered lumber. Trex is basically plastic resin with sawdust mixed into it. It is rot/water resistant and it's easy to work with.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

What kind of pipe is the collar attached to PVC,Cast Iron???
    If it's PVC cut the pipe from the inside with an internal cutter then lower the collar....Ive seen plumbers do it quite a few times.......
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

http://www.blackbookoftools.com/Prod...roductID=79991

I think you can rent the kind in the link below from a rental center
    http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/W...r/9681/Cat/704
    Gizmo

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Maybe try going to a counter top shop, I would bet they have sink cut outs of Corian that you could make it out of.
    Gizmo

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Maybe try going to a counter top shop, I would bet they have sink cut outs of Corian that you could make it out of.
    That's probably the best idea yet. Plenty of choices in materials patterns and colors.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    That's probably the best idea yet. Plenty of choices in materials patterns and colors.
    Trace the toilet out on a pcs of plywood cut it out including the closet collar, take it with you to the counter shop. For a few bucks I bet they will cut/sand/buff it out for you. If you cut it 1/4" larger all than the toilet they can rout a nice edge on it,,,,1/2 round,Bevel,OG,Cove,etc... One thing for sure you will have a style no one else has.....lol
    Gizmo

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Oh the puns that race around my head at the moment ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Trace the toilet out on a pcs of plywood cut it out including the closet collar, take it with you to the counter shop. For a few bucks I bet they will cut/sand/buff it out for you. If you cut it 1/4" larger all than the toilet they can rout a nice edge on it
    I came across an interesting tip for tracing and enlarging a pattern. Use a flat washer. Place the washer against the object, put the pencil inside it, and the width of the washer will give you a perfectly even trace/enlargement of the object. The washer you choose will determining the amount of enlargement. I thought that was a pretty slick trick when I read it.

Spruce, funny you mention the washer trick. There was a Russian flooring installer on the same job I was working on a few years ago. He was using a fat round pencil sharpened on both ends. He had a Chap Stick cap with a small hole in the center rigged up on one end of the pencil so the lead tip would stick out. Thats how he scribed the flooring so it was 1/4" away from the wall for expansion......LOL
    Gizmo

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

That's not a bad idea, though I'd expect that one would have to be pretty careful using the cap idea to hold the pencil in a particular orientation to the material or the accuracy will suffer. What happens when you have to go under a toe-kick and lean the pencil over. With the washer idea, the pencil will work at any angle.

On the note of the chapstick cap, I've drilled a pencil hole in a block of wood to use as a scribe, so pretty much any object that will do the job at hand will work.