+ Reply to Thread

Default Anyone familiar with Fed Pacific Breakers?

Hi, I bought an older home (raised ranch 1963) and it has a Fed Pacific breaker box. I understand just one replacement can cost about $30 each since they do not make this kind anymore. Any suggestions on a replacement of the box? What kind and do you think re-wiring my old house is necessary? Thanks.

Default Re: Anyone familiar with Fed Pacific Breakers?

You'll find different people have different preferences, I personally like Square D panels.

As for you wiring, what type do you have? Is the insulation in good shape? Do you have enough circuits and outlets?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    You'll find different people have different preferences, I personally like Square D panels.

As for you wiring, what type do you have? Is the insulation in good shape? Do you have enough circuits and outlets?
    Jack

I agree with Jack. Square D is probably the best out there for panels. I have heard that fed's are pretty expensive breakers to replace but haven't had to price them personally. Given the year of the house it's a possibility that you have an ungrounded system which may end up costing you lots to have the wiring upgraded to bring it up to code just for a new panel. Easy way to tell is if you pull off the front of your breaker box and see if there are bare copper wires as well as black and white in the box. If so then you shouldn't have to do a wiring upgrade when you replace the panel to bring it up to current code.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post

Jack
    Jack, truth be told, for residential work, QO or Homeline?
    Inquiring minds want to know....

I bought a house three years ago that had a Fed Pacific box. The Home Inspector recommended I replace it, as it was possibly dangerous. Several electricians in the area have said the only work they will do on a Federal Pacific box is remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by paretoslaw View Post
    I used a 20a fedpac breaker to weld once on a bet............

I won.

The bittches do not trip on OL or short circuit.
    Hmmm --- BS perhaps
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by tabarbour View Post
    I bought a house three years ago that had a Fed Pacific box. The Home Inspector recommended I replace it, as it was possibly dangerous. Several electricians in the area have said the only work they will do on a Federal Pacific box is remove it.
    I would buy that if sold to me...