+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Sealing air ducts

I'm in the midwest where we mostly have our duct system in the conditioned space.
    Regarding sealing duct leaks I would say it's a good idea in a perfect world.
    Unfortunately, most (duct) systems are so poorly designed that the leaks are the only saving grace.

Leaky ducts lead to pressure loss within the ducts and what will happen is the last runs coming off the Main Trunk will not have the required CFMs and not as much heat going to those rooms. I will agree that there is some pretty shoddy ductwork, the sad thing is that it's not to difficult to do.

Sten.....I might have said this before, so don't bust my balls, but air leaks are the only thing keeping our systems running around here. I totally agree with sealing and insulation in unconditioned spaces, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    We can beat this topic to death but there is a right way and a wrong way. The right way is to seal your ducts and run a small supply to keep your pipes from freezing if that's what your worried about, or just do what you want. Good luck!!!

Bob, This was to the original poster. As I said to you "Venting is Good", I don't think I'm busting your balls and why would you think that???
    I hope every time I have something to say in a post your not gonna tell me "Don't bust my Balls"

Sten,
    Good morning. I'm just joking with you.

Good morning, you busting my Balls??

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    Good morning, you busting my Balls??
    It's all in fun. I know that sealing the duct has been a hot issue the last few years but my simple brain tells me that if the air had somewhere to go (the ducts are too small or the registers are old) it wouldn't be such a huge issue. No one talks about (small) ductwork. Also, remember, because people can't get the air where it needs to go, they close half the dampers. I try to over size my zones to compensate for this.