I just moved into a condo built in 1971.
It has a Federal panel (which several people have told me is BAD)
I have several outlets that spark or buzz when something is plugged in.
I had a new electric baseboard heater installed and a new wall thermostat to go with it and when the electrician took out the old switch he said the wires were "melted" (no he didn't show me even though I was in the next room). He said he "taped them up" and to fix the problem he would have to cut another hole in the wall above the thermostat, install a new box and run new wire from there. When I asked about the panel he said he would have to cut a hole in the kitchen ceiling.
None of what he said sounded logical to me.
1 Do I need a new panel immediately?
2 Do I just need all new wiring? (remember this was cheap wiring from 1971 - not the best built condo...)
3 Can I just pull new wiring for the thermostat? Or should that whole wire run be replaced?
4 Can I just replace the outlets with new? What type/brand is best?
5 How can I tell if other wires are "melted"?
6 Do they really have to cut holes in all the walls?
Thanks in advance for all your help!
PS. How do I find out if I have aluminium wiring?