+ Reply to Thread

Default Leaky Toilet Ring?

I have a 2 story, 2 family home. Both floors are identical. The toilet on the first floor leaks water from under the base at times...it seems when it gets higher than normal useage. I've changed the wax ring a few times but this doesn't seems to help. This is also a fairly new toilet so it doesn't have any cracks or chips.
    Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Default Re: Leaky Toilet Ring?

If it's not leaking around the base, it may be leaking at the tank/bowl connection. It's also possible that it's not leaking at all and that it's condensation on the porcelain that is building up and dripping on the floor. Do you notice this "leak" at certain times of the year, say winter, or when the humidity is high?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for reply!
    Yes, it just leaks around the base at any time of year.

If it's leaking around the base, then it's the seal between the floor and toilet. When you replace the wax ring, you must make sure the base of the toilet and the flange are clean before installing the new ring. Use a putty knife or similar type sc****r to remove the big stuff, then wipe both the flange and toilet base with a clean paper towel. It is ok if there is remnant of wax residue, you just don't want any slime, gunk, or globs.

I prefer to use the was ring with the plastic neck inside. IMHO, it helps to channel the waste down into the flange further, preventing leaks. You should replace the hold down bolts if they are rusted or damaged.

When setting the toilet, you gently set it into place then apply light, even pressure and wiggle until the toilet settles down onto the floor. Install the nuts finger tight and give them an additional turn or two with a wrench. You want them just tight enough to keep the toilet from wiggling with light pressure. After a few days of use, check to make sure the hold down nuts are still tight, tighten as necessary. You have to be particularly careful not to over tighten if you've got a tile floor, otherwise you risk breaking the toilet.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Make sure that your flange protrudes slightly above the floor. Sometimes homeowners put down a new floor and the toilet flange ends up below the floor grade - not good. They sell flanges at plumbing supply centers that will solve that problem if that is the problem. It is an easy fix. If not use one of the progressively thicker wax rings that are sold the next time you do this. I've pulled up toilets and found that the wax ring did not even contact the floor so there was a gap between the wax ring and the floor. I never use the standard thin wax ring when I replace a toilet.

If the new wax ring is installed correctly, would the toilet still leak around the base if you had a minor obstruction in the drain thus backing up? I only notice the leakagew when it is used heavily.

No, it should not.

Thank you both for helping out.
    i'll guess it's a new wax ring time!

Thanks again!