+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: nails or screws?

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    So --- tell me how screws that are manufactured using the same or better metals as nails have less shear strength?

Perhaps when you over torque them is when you see them snap.
    Have you ever snapped the head off a bolt --- the same bolt that has significant shear strength?
    Not all screws have the same shear rating as nails. I think simpson has shear rated screws for there hangers. Some grabbers have a good rating...... Try and cut a tap con there tougher than nails, We have to use shear rated screw in Florida for the hurricanes. You have to use the exact screws that a specified on the engineered drawing or you will fail the inspections
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    ardox nails- the shanks are so bloody thin if you hand nail osb sheathing 2/3" of em simply bend over... or they dont come with heads on em anyway????? cheap manufacturing or shoddy fastener with good intentions
    Worse is those darned Chinese nails. They put the head on the wrong end of most of them!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Not all screws have the same shear rating as nails. I think simpson has shear rated screws for there hangers. Some grabbers have a good rating...... Try and cut a tap con there tougher than nails, We have to use shear rated screw in Florida for the hurricanes. You have to use the exact screws that a specified on the engineered drawing or you will fail the inspections
    I hear ya.
    Keep in mind that with Simpson hangers they are spec'd for use with hanger nails and not common nails---- different shear rating.

Sure Tapcons are hardened but so are concrete nails.

All what's being said is no different to nails.

The point is screws can be an alternative fastener , especially when the materials are the same or better than nails --- so the whole shear contraversy is for not when they are the same or better material.
    Besides -- we're not talking about using drywall screws for structural framing ---- at least I hope not ---- and don't forget screws have been allowed for use in deck structures for years.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

ugghhh ardox spikes, god i hate those things.. when framing you goto tack something and you cant pull the thing so you gotta cut it with teh recip saw.

ardox nails- the shanks are so bloody thin if you hand nail osb sheathing 2/3" of em simply bend over... or they dont come with heads on em anyway????? cheap manufacturing or shoddy fastener with good intentions

bolts have a different shear strength rating. they are made of softer steel than screws so their less brittle which is what causes screws to snap. i use this to my advantage when stripping drywall, instead of backing off the nails after the wall is bare i just smack em downwards and the shank snaps flush to the face of the studs
    Yep --- good old Ardox.
    I tore out some sub floor to sister some joists to temporarily repair a floor.
    Laid some plywood to cover the holes --- grabbed some nails and pounded away.
    Went back to pull up the plywood to do some more work ---- DANG --- the nails I used were Ardox .
    They ain't coming back out short of cutting everything.----- sshould have used screws I guess.

Hey now ----- you're talking about drywall screws which are brittle.
    I'm not --- you can't use drywall screws for structure.
    - Rush

i think its the same way for earthquake zones, instead of hanger nails they use 1/4 x 1 1/4" bolts. saw it on holmes on homes, should have asked him when i met him. im on the right
    Wasn't it that house in California he was helping the folks out with?
    I think he was on the Ellen show regarding that one.
    They were using hundreds of lag screws for securing the beams.
    - Rush

These what your talking about, they look beefy enough?

http://www.strongtie.com/

Howdy, i watched the GRKFasteners videos about their amazing hardened screws. It is impressive. Then i read that they are in fact rated for shear. The RSS 5/16 x 6" used instead of lag bolts has a shear rating of 1335 lbf. Do you guys know what a #16 common nail is rated at for shear? The best p[art they are readily available here in southern OR. I went out and got some can hardly wait to see if they work as well as the video showed. way cool!

16D nail has a designed safe working strength of 128# in lateral shear. As far as I know shear rating changes depending on thickness the nails going through and into.
    I would think a USA nail has a higher rating than most China manufactured nails.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 02-04-2010 at 06:19 AM.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Howdy thanks for the information about the 16 nail. Ii got back on the GRK Fasteners web page the. I think the comparable screw is the #9 31/8" RS4 has 452lbf lateral Resistance slip. Really glad i found these fasteners.....