+ Reply to Thread

Question Gutters installed wrong

The gutter that crosses the front of my house was installed with the pitch going the wrong way. They apparently were going to install the down spouts at one end then the builder changed his mind and installed them at the opposite end without considering the pitch.
    These gutters are installed with gutter nails, those 9 inch spikes that nail into the fascia.

My Question:

How can I change the pitch of this gutter without a complete re-installation or removal of these spikes?

Default Re: Gutters installed wrong

As the spike and ferrules are what hold the gutter in position they would have to be removed, the gutter repositioned, and the spike and ferrules reinstalled. Perhaps an easier solution would be to punch the other end of the gutter and install a new down spout on that end.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Leave one spike in the middle of the gutter to be the pivot. Tilt the gutter the direction you want after removing the other spikes. My recommendation would be to throw away the spikes and use the gutter brackets that have the threaded hex head screw that fastens into the fascia.

As the spike and ferrules are what hold the gutter in position they would have to be removed, the gutter repositioned, and the spike and ferrules reinstalled. Perhaps an easier solution would be to punch the other end of the gutter and install a new down spout on that end.
    Jack.
    Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    Leave one spike in the middle of the gutter to be the pivot. Tilt the gutter the direction you want after removing the other spikes. My recommendation would be to throw away the spikes and use the gutter brackets that have the threaded hex head screw that fastens into the fascia.
    Thanks for the info. Is there an easy way to pull these spikes without crushing the gutters?

I use a Pry Barslide the short end of the pry bar down behind the spike's head so the slot slides down onto the spike's shank and tap the spike out with a hammer hitting the prybar. A little tape on the flat of the pry bar will help keep it from maring the gutter.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

They apparently were going to install the down spouts at one end then the builder changed his mind and installed them at the opposite end without considering the pitch.

Are you the original owner? I would think that the builder should be held accountable for this repair. Even if you are not the original owner, if the builder is reputable, he may fix the mistake free of charge as a token of good faith.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Burns View Post
    Thanks for the info. Is there an easy way to pull these spikes without crushing the gutters?
    Grab the ferrel with a pair of pliers and tap the bolt that holds the pliers together with a hammer to back the nail out far enough to grab the nail head with either the same pliers or a pair of side cutters. Work carefully so as not to distort the gutter in the process.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I think you should persue a solution with the builder. It's probably not worth litigating over, but if the builder doesn't satisfy, you could sully his reputation, or threathen to do so, by contacting the state home improvement commission.