+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulating a whole house fan

I need to add some insulation to my whole house fan. I think that I want to do something with rigid insulation attached to the box that encloses the fan. I'd like some advice before I begin.

Default Re: Insulating a whole house fan

Great idea similar to insulating an attic access. From the attic side consider 1by2'' to frame a box larger then the fans opening. Then glue blue Styrofoam insulation board ( sold in 4 by 8' sheets) to the box. To increase its r value i would double or tipple the blue board. Then lay the box on top of the ceiling joist.

Ive tried posting 2 times on this thread. For some reason it keeps going to the moderator to be reviewed. Im not the spammer so what up.

Anyway,,,,,google (how to insulate whole house fan ) they sell covers for the top and bottom of the fans
    Last edited by Gizmo; 01-06-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: add
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Ive tried posting 2 times on this thread. For some reason it keeps going to the moderator to be reviewed. Im not the spammer so what up.

Anyway,,,,,google (how to insulate whole house fan ) they sell covers for the top and bottom of the fans
    It happens to me as well, but only when links or images are used. My suspicion is that the link/image IP address has been flagged, causing the problem. Unfortunately, the posts are never reviewed by the admin and never posted to the threads in which they could be helpful. This is what happens when a site is not actively moderated.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks Spruce,,its happened a few times to me.
    Im not sure how the medical products scammer get his links past them....
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

It's not all links or images that get flagged, which is why I suspect that it has to do with the domain/IP where the link/image originates. Personally, I'd rather link to an image because you can post a larger image and actually see whatever it is depicting, rather than the thumbnails that the TOH server restricts uploaded images to that you can't see.

All I can say is if the image/link is crucial to your post, type links out such as TOHdotCOM, and save images to your computer then upload to TOH. Most of the time I pass on that kind of work because odds are, someone else will be able to post a similar image/link for you.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I've noticed that most of the spammers are putting the links in the signature. The spam filter probably doesn't check the signature since it's not entered into the comment form.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.