+ Reply to Thread

Question 10 yr old untreated deck, splinters in feet. How do I repair and save this deck?

Our house has a deck and picknik table that are both at least 10 years old. From the way they look, I don't believe they have ever been treated. They are putting out tiny spinters on bare feet, etc, but still seem to be very sound. They were built well to begin with, which seems strange to me why they were never treated.
    We inherited them with the house and would like to save them both. How do I handle not only the splintering, but staining and or treating them so that they will be safe for bare feet and continue to have a long life. Is the wood too old and dry to actually be saved. There is no dry rot that I can see either. The deck is about 20' x 20'. Thanks. I am on a tight budget as well. So the financial investment needs to be minimal. Thanks.

Default Re: 10 yr old untreated deck, splinters in feet. How do I repair and save this deck

did a deck not too long ago that had a small splintering problem.
    go to home depot and rent a pressure washer, and wash the deck real good, be carefull not to get the pressure washer wand to close or you will damage the wood more, let it dry for about 7 days, then rent a floor sander from Home Depot, has the square osiolating head on it. start with 60 grit sand paper and sand the decking, then 80 grit and finish with 120 grit. for the hand rails and the deck under the rails use a belt sander with the same grit, for the balisters those must be hand sanded using the same grit sequence. finsh with a good quality sealer like thompson deck sealer and seal it every couple of years. and your deck should get you a few more years of enjoyment. that is if the deck is sound.

Thumbs up Re: 10 yr old untreated deck, splinters in feet. How do I repair and save this deck

Thanks,
    I'll do that. Good advice.

Smile Re: 10 yr old untreated deck, splinters in feet. How do I repair and save this deck

Quote Originally Posted by louman333 View Post
    Thanks,
    I'll do that. Good advice.
    I agree with the above comments. One additional thing I would suggest, is to apply a boiled linseed oil to the the deck, along with whatever sealer, and whatever stain you choose. It is very compatible with stains, sealers, or even paints. The boiled linseed oil will creat an ultra-violet barrier that the sun's rays cannot penetrate, so the wood does not dry out. I make lots of birdfeeders, with 12 inch wide cedar roof pieces. At first I had trouble with the roof pieces warping after a couple years, after the sun beat on it all the time. A long time lumber yard man told me to use boiled linseed oil in the stain, and sealer, so the sun's rays would just bounce off, instead of penetrating the wood. I could not believe the difference the boiled linseed oil made, and I have never had a warped roof since that time. The linseed oil will keep the deck material soft, so it will not dry out. With the linseed oil, it might take a little longer to dry, but you will be very happy with it. Watch for all the water beads on the surface, after every rain.

Good luck with your deck. Boiled linseed will cost somewhere from $8-10+ per gallon. A small price to pay compared with the rising costs of everything else.