+ Reply to Thread

Default Oldach Wood Windows

Would anyone know what spices of wood was used to manufacture Oldach windows, i keep running into them, here in colorado springs, The company is no longer in Business because of legal reasons. so their is no Technical data available. all i can find out is the windows where made with inferior wood for our conditions. any help would be great. i keep getting asked this question i cant answer and it bugs me.

Thanks

Default Re: Oldach Wood Windows

From what I read in the settlement it wasn't so much the type of wood but the preservative and sealant used and the faiure of the low e coating. Morton, the manufacturer of the sealant was named in the suite.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 04-30-2008 at 06:01 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Here is a link to a website that describes the problems. Pine was the wood used in Oldach windows, but that was not the cause for the failures, as Jack stated above.

http://www.loveourwindows.com/windows.htm

Thanks for the information. I needed to know what not to use. i have to replace the Stop Gap molding on some of these winows. just trying to prolong the life a little longer. of all the windows i have seen failure starts at the Stop Gap molding. so far no failures in the 2 pane glass panel. i plan on using cedar with a high end elastomaric caulking between the window and frame. then in stall the stop gap molding. Topped with a good semi-transparnet stain. should give the client a couple more years of life, at a reasonable price.

Again thanks for the info