+ Reply to Thread

Default Kitchen Ceiling fan water damage

Hello,

Not long ago we had an upstairs bathroom pipe leak which caused water to leak down into the kitchen and through the ceiling fan/light fixture. The Plumbing problem is fixed, but the ceiling fan/light is dead. I want to replace the ceiling fan with a standard light fixture, but I'm wondering if this would be a DIY project, or if I should tread carefully and call a professional? Would the whole fixture and everything need replacing or is there another way after water damage. Any help is much appreciated.

Default Re: Kitchen Ceiling fan water damage

Water generally does little damage to non-energized electrical equipment. Usually you let it dry out and clean up any corrosion and it's good to go. There should have been no damage to wiring so removing and replacing the fan/light with a standard fixture should be no problem.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the tips. I do have a further question about your response though. You said; "Water generally does little damage to non-energized electrical equipment. Usually you let it dry out and clean up any corrosion and it's good to go."

That light stopped working immediately after the leak happened, and has not worked since (with more than adequate drying time). That being the case, do you think it just needs to be cleaned, or is it possible that the whole thing would die because of the water?

Gotta ask........ Did you replace the lamps?

Yes, I removed and checked all of the bulbs in another fixture and they work fine. I should note that after further testing, the fan does operate, it's just the lights that seem to be dead.

At any time did the breaker for this circuit trip?
    Jack

No, the breaker did not trip at all.

Chances are that you have some corrosion either in wire nuts, screw connectors, or the lamp sockets. If more than one light on the unit and non work it is probably not the sockets.
    Jack

I think that can be done by your self but be sure that before you do any actions turn-off first your main ***** switch.