+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Tom Silva's Cordless Drill

From the TOH ****** Editors Inbox, williaeb asks:

What is the brand of the cordless drill Tom Silva uses on the show? I have researched all the sources I know and can't find it. I would love to buy one for my husband.

Default Re: Tom Silva's Cordless Drill

The brand is Festool.

I purchased a 11 Volt Bosch drill and find it to be the very best battery drill I've ever used. It's very small but very powerful. The batteries last a long time and charge very fast. It used Lithium batteries. I just built a deck with this drill and was amazed how such a small drill could drive 3" screws all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by scpapa View Post
    The brand is Festool.
    I have often wondered about that myself.
    The last five years I have purchased a Millwaukee, a Dewalt and a Makita. And wore them all out within a year. But the Milw was far and away the best...

I've had good luck with my Ridgid 24V lithium kit from HD. The tools can use either 18V (nimh/nicd?) packs or the 24V lithium. The 24V packs hold up really well, and the tools are surprisingly light considering their size and the size of the packs.

I still have smaller drills for light work, but the 24V lithium is handy for larger projects where I have to drill/jigsaw/circsaw wood, and can use 2 packs for all the tools and get the job done without having to recharge either pack (until a month or so ago, separate packs/chargers weren't available through Rdigid, only "used" on eBay from breaking up kits).

A great advantage of the Ridgid tools is that the batteries are also warrantied for life - just register your tools and packs ****** after purchase, and if you ever wear out a battery, they'll replace it. Very handy for those of us that end up with 5-10 packs for a tool and watch each of them slowly die.
    Tom Stangl
    Hidden Content
    Prius Visual FAQ Home
    Hidden Content
    DSM Visual FAQ home

Caveat: IANAC (I Am Not A Contractor) - I am simply a DIYer that tends to do a lot of research. Contact licensed Contractors/Architects/whatever for the final legal word on any advice.

Tom Silva uses a Festool -- considered one of the best tools -- but it is also pricey. My favorite is Panasonic.

Depending on what he is going to use it for -- you may want to consider an impact driver -- especially if he already has a cordless drill. An impact driver will do for driving screws into decks and heaver screwing -- but they are not so good at small screws -- like cabinet hinges -- can be done, but it takes getting used to it, and takes a light touch.

Makita makes a combination drill -- drill, hammer drill, impact driver all in one. Another choice -- but again, Festool is considered the best cordless drill. Each other has its good points and bad points. Another thing to consider -- how is it going to fit in his hand -- the fit and feel is as important as the tool function.

Tools that are OK but not considered to be a tool lovers tool are Craftsman, Black and Decker, Ryobi -- not bad, just not it the same class.

Bob H

Here's a link to Festool's site.

Festool

I have seen them use a lot of Festool stuff on the shows. The circular saw is another Festool product that is top notch (but pricey).

I alway look at the weight of the tool, since it tends to wear you down by the end of the day.

I've had excellent luck with Makita's 18 volt model. I also have an 18 volt Makita rotary saw, and a sander. They hold up well and one battery lasts a long time.

this is a brand of festival.