+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Tom Silva's Cordless Drill

From the TOH ****** Editors Inbox, williaeb asks:

What is the brand of the cordless drill Tom Silva uses on the show? I have researched all the sources I know and can't find it. I would love to buy one for my husband.

Default Re: Tom Silva's Cordless Drill

The brand is Festool.

Quote Originally Posted by scpapa View Post
    The brand is Festool.
    I have often wondered about that myself.
    The last five years I have purchased a Millwaukee, a Dewalt and a Makita. And wore them all out within a year. But the Milw was far and away the best...

I purchased a 11 Volt Bosch drill and find it to be the very best battery drill I've ever used. It's very small but very powerful. The batteries last a long time and charge very fast. It used Lithium batteries. I just built a deck with this drill and was amazed how such a small drill could drive 3" screws all day long.

I've had good luck with my Ridgid 24V lithium kit from HD. The tools can use either 18V (nimh/nicd?) packs or the 24V lithium. The 24V packs hold up really well, and the tools are surprisingly light considering their size and the size of the packs.

I still have smaller drills for light work, but the 24V lithium is handy for larger projects where I have to drill/jigsaw/circsaw wood, and can use 2 packs for all the tools and get the job done without having to recharge either pack (until a month or so ago, separate packs/chargers weren't available through Rdigid, only "used" on eBay from breaking up kits).

A great advantage of the Ridgid tools is that the batteries are also warrantied for life - just register your tools and packs ****** after purchase, and if you ever wear out a battery, they'll replace it. Very handy for those of us that end up with 5-10 packs for a tool and watch each of them slowly die.
    Tom Stangl
    Hidden Content
    Prius Visual FAQ Home
    Hidden Content
    DSM Visual FAQ home

Caveat: IANAC (I Am Not A Contractor) - I am simply a DIYer that tends to do a lot of research. Contact licensed Contractors/Architects/whatever for the final legal word on any advice.

Tom Silva uses a Festool -- considered one of the best tools -- but it is also pricey. My favorite is Panasonic.

Depending on what he is going to use it for -- you may want to consider an impact driver -- especially if he already has a cordless drill. An impact driver will do for driving screws into decks and heaver screwing -- but they are not so good at small screws -- like cabinet hinges -- can be done, but it takes getting used to it, and takes a light touch.

Makita makes a combination drill -- drill, hammer drill, impact driver all in one. Another choice -- but again, Festool is considered the best cordless drill. Each other has its good points and bad points. Another thing to consider -- how is it going to fit in his hand -- the fit and feel is as important as the tool function.

Tools that are OK but not considered to be a tool lovers tool are Craftsman, Black and Decker, Ryobi -- not bad, just not it the same class.

Bob H

Here's a link to Festool's site.

Festool

I have seen them use a lot of Festool stuff on the shows. The circular saw is another Festool product that is top notch (but pricey).

I alway look at the weight of the tool, since it tends to wear you down by the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    I alway look at the weight of the tool, since it tends to wear you down by the end of the day.
    Then you would love the Festool, it's one of the lightest. I stick with my heavier Makitas because they have more oomph.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I've had excellent luck with Makita's 18 volt model. I also have an 18 volt Makita rotary saw, and a sander. They hold up well and one battery lasts a long time.