+ Reply to Thread

Default Programmable Thermostat for in-floor heat

I read through the thread below, but thought I'd start this one as I have a multiple-zone system.

Here's the set up. Three-story cape cod. Lower level walk out, street level, and upper level.

The lower level and street level each have a zone. The upper level has two zones.

Each zone has it's own thermostat. Only the street level t-stat is programmable as it also operates the air-handler for the AC system.

This is our second winter in the home (our design and build). And we essentially set the lower level, street level and 1 zone on the upper level at a constant temp. We rarely need to change that temp.

The bedroom zone on the upper level is essentially un-used as there is enough residual heat to keep it at a comfortable temp during the winter (closed cell foam insulated home).

With all that said, does anyone think it would be beneficial from efficiency/economy to put programmable units on those three zones?

Thanks,

Ultra

Default Re: Programmable Thermostat for in-floor heat

It is not recommended to use a set-back thermostat on a radiant heat system. Radiant heat systems do not respond as rapidly as a convection type heating system, mainly because a radiant floor heat system uses the mass of the building to store energy and to provide a more even heat.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Yep, I was thinking the same thing Canuk. Our house essentially stays two to three degrees higher than each of the zone temps. So we're holding plenty of heat. And as a matter of fact, the program unit is just set up on the AC side. I'll stay the course.

thanks,

Ultra.

You're welcome and stay comfy.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush