+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Flickering lights in house.

I am trying to figure out why the lights in my house are flickering. I recently had a 150 amp box installed and new breakers put in. On one of the circuits every light that is on it flicker. Is there a lose connection at the box or is it from outside. The flickering of the lights are that they go jump from bright to dim constantly ex. like looking at a candle. Please help

Default Re: Flickering lights in house.

Scotto 1210 I read your post of flickering lights in your home and
    write to say I had to same problem, until yesterday. My home is an
    old one with very old wiring and outlets/switches. I had this big
    flickering of lights and changed most of the electrical outlets
    that I think create a certain flickering at one point of the house.

The problem continued and I noticed that my Television was the
    cause of flickering, so I replayed it, and the flickering has
    stopped, so far.

Will appreciate any information on what might cause this.

Thanks

I thought it might be the tv but the lights flicker even when almost everything in the house is turned off. It is driving me crazy trying to figure out what is wrong. I am going to call the electr and see what he says.

If it is just one circuit, check and make sure you don't have a poorly fitted breaker, that the screw on the breaker is tight against the wire, and that the neutral is tight.

If it's all your lights, have the power company check the transformer connections, this problem is often caused by a loose neutral. Then have the drop connections in the new panel check to make sure they are tight. I would recommend you have someone qualified for this.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank You Jack, I will call the power company and hopefully that will solve the problem. It is driving me crazy.

Does anyone else have any ideas what I should do???

If its only on one ckt and its getting bright then dim i would tighten the nuetral on that ckt. to start with anyway.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

This may be a good time to call an electrician. If its isolated to one circuit, start troubleshooting the connections on that circuit. You will find a loose connection somewhere in the circuit.

Generally the first rule of troubleshooting is to go back to the last thing done before the problem arised. If you didn't have the problem before the new power panel was installed and it appeared right after, and only on one circuit, then call the electrician that did the installation and have him fix the problem.

If you had the new panel put in in an attempt to solve the problem, then the panel is not the problem.

You say the lights flicker on only one circuit. Is that true for the whole circuit or part of it. Since the lights and outlets on the circuit are daisy chained in parallel, you follow the circuit from the panel to the first light/outlet that flickers, thats where the problem will be.

The electrician is coming Saturday. I hope he will be able to fix the problem. Im just trying to figure out why its doing this. I have gone through all the circuits on the panel to see if one is causing all the lights to flicker. If anyone has any additional ideas i would appreciate it.
    I will keep you posted.

Thanks
    Scott