+ Reply to Thread

Default Hanging light fixture from ceiling

I have an 11.5lb light fixture that I need to hang from a hook in my kitchen. It originates from the main wires but to center it I need to hang it from the hook. Is my fixture too heavy?

Default Re: Hanging light fixture from ceiling

Not if the hook is secured into a framing member. I would not trust plaster or drywall alone to carry that weight. If there is no framing member, you can install one easily enough from above. It bears asking, this light is a swag fixture, correct, you're not just trying to hang a normal fixture that should be mounted to a box?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yes, it's a chandelier, nothing too fancy, but will definitely upgrade the look of my kitchen. Okay, so when you say "framing member" you're referring to a stud or something like that I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith32 View Post
    Yes, it's a chandelier, nothing too fancy, but will definitely upgrade the look of my kitchen. Okay, so when you say "framing member" you're referring to a stud or something like that I assume?
    I would not worry much about hanging the fixture where ever you want. A toggle should work fine if there is no framing........... A Spruce is a real stud from what I understand but he will smell bad after a couple of weeks in your ceiling.

Don't let NEC fool you, I smell bad without being in the ceiling for a couple of weeks.

I would be concerned about point loading the ceiling with a toggle, that is why I recommend securing into a structural member, and yes, that's technospeak for a stud, though in the ceiling it would be considered a joist (horizontal member ) rather than a stud (vertical member or A. Spruce in his Carhart's ).
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I vote stud. If you go with the toggle you have to be careful not to push or pull when you change the bulbs.

If you can't center it on a joist, with a bit more work you can pretty securely mount it. Just a quick dry wall saw cut to open up between the joists, screw in a 2x4 perpendicullarly to the joists, cover up with the dry wall piece you cut out, a little joint compound on there and a couple of coats of paint and you have a nice secure mount point that you could do chin ups on.

Smile Re: Hanging light fixture from ceiling

Okay you crazy kids. I'll use my "stud finder" and have this thing hung proper like. Thanks a bunch for all your help!!

Lisa

My personal choice is eharmony.com for a stud finder, it seems to work better then match.com at stud finding. Or at least the studs seem more relaible