+ Reply to Thread

Question Cost of rewiring my old home

Hi,

I live in a 2 story home built in 1937 with an upgraded 100 amp box in the basement. My problem is that all the old wiring is still in the home and in use except for what was replaced running through the basement and under the first floor. I know I don't have much info but I was wondering if anyone knows how much rewiring usually costs and If I should have the family home upgraded to 200 amp. Like I said some rewiring is already done but the people before me rigged alot of stuff and the old wiring is still present. Can any one give me a clue on what to do.

Default Re: Cost of rewiring my old home

$355.00 per opening...... Anywhere in the USA........ More elsewhere. Service upgrades negotiable.

I don't understand what that means

There are many variables which will affect the cost of re- wiring your home. How large is your home (square feet)? If you are going to have a complete re-wiring job then it makes sense to go for the 200 amp upgrade. The 200 amp upgrade usually costs at least $1,000. For re-wiring, the electricians I know in Michigan and Wyoming charge anywhere from $65-$120 per outlet, switch, fixture etc. I would figure a few thousand dollars to get this competed right.

Thank you Marcy that I helpful, I just have to measure an get a quote

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbean12387 View Post
    Hi,

I live in a 2 story home built in 1937 with an upgraded 100 amp box in the basement. My problem is that all the old wiring is still in the home and in use except for what was replaced running through the basement and under the first floor. I know I don't have much info but I was wondering if anyone knows how much rewiring usually costs and If I should have the family home upgraded to 200 amp. Like I said some rewiring is already done but the people before me rigged alot of stuff and the old wiring is still present. Can any one give me a clue on what to do.

There are several factors in determining costs that are not accurate. In rewiring old dwellings one consideration is access for new routing. There may be walls that have to be cut into for routing above 1st floor dwelling. Another consideration is material cost as they fluctuate and could be a considerable difference in cost. There is also the cost of who you get to do the work which can also can be a price enhancer. I suggest you come up with what you have to work with and see what can be accomplished. I would love to come by and see the project, I live in Va so I don't know if this is possible. Just by what you are saying a cost could be as much as $7000.00

Call every electrician in your area and ask for a bid. They will come out and give you an estimate. I did this with my total rewire. I did not accept anyone who would not give me a firm number on paper, and it was amazing the difference in prices that I received.

I had a quote on my 2 story with 3 people and it ranged form 8,000 to 10,000!