+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bathroom exhaust fan motor

Does that nut on the back not turn?

I've tried getting a grip on it with some needle nose pliers but I can't get it to budge.

Is this a hex head or the round tip of the shaft? If it's a hex, then that should be the retainer.

It looks like two threaded studs on either side of the motor. Are there nuts here? Removal of the nuts should allow the back of the motor housing to be removed for cleaning. There are three metal tangs around the perimeter of the motor, these are probably spot welded to the housing, making it impossible to remove the motor without disassembling it from the unit.

Work carefully, you don't want to lose internal shims as you pull it apart. When you clean things up, note the order in which you take it apart so that it goes back together properly.

For cleaning, use aerosol motor spray and compressed air. Do it over a drip pan so you can collect the motor spray and reuse it with a parts brush to work stubborn grease and grime free. Wear gloves and eye protection as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Is this a hex head or the round tip of the shaft? If it's a hex, then that should be the retainer.
    This is not a hex head unfortunately, it appears to actually be the round tip of the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    It looks like two threaded studs on either side of the motor. Are there nuts here? Removal of the nuts should allow the back of the motor housing to be removed for cleaning. There are three metal tangs around the perimeter of the motor, these are probably spot welded to the housing, making it impossible to remove the motor without disassembling it from the unit.
    I've removed the two nuts but the motor still won't come out, which is why I posted, sorry I haven't been more clear. When I try and pull the motor out it gives a little but there seems to be something else holding it in place.

Without having it in my hands, it's tough to figure out what's keeping it in place and how to extricate it. Maybe you're just not using a big enough hammer ...

What you might do is look for a local shop that specializes in repairing electric motors and consult with them. Odds are, if you're going to replace the motor you'll need them to get the right one for you anyway, you're not going to get something off the shelf at the big box.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you look inside the squirrel cage can you see the shaft from the motor ?
    Does it go into a collar of sorts ----- perhaps on the end where you see the tip ?

If so that's were the set screw may be.
    It's tough to see from the pictures --- with all the gunk and stuff.

Though I've never run across one ---- the squirrel cage might be pressed fit onto the shaft.

I'm not sure if you can take off the rear case while it's still attached to the mounting frame.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Found the set screw! I had to peer between the fan blades and saw a slight hole that an allen wrench fit into. It wouldn't budge but a little WD-40 fixed her right up and the motor came right out.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Darned if it isn't always in the last place you look ...

there ya go ----- isn't WD-40 amazing stuff?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush