+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bathroom exhaust fan motor

So my bathroom exhaust fan has died and I decided to try and replace just the motor. I've gotten all the visible bolts off but the motor still doesn't want to come out of the bracket. It pulls up a little and then stops. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can get this thing out of the bracket?

I've attached a pic of what I'm dealing with.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Bathroom exhaust fan motor

Have you loosened the set screw that holds the shaft to the squirrel cage ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Would you know where this is? The only other possibility that I can see is at the very bottom where a piece comes through but there's no way that I can see to attach something in order to turn it.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mindcrash View Post
    Would you know where this is? The only other possibility that I can see is at the very bottom where a piece comes through but there's no way that I can see to attach something in order to turn it.

Thanks.
    On the other end of the motor from what you have pictured, there should be a set screw holding the motor shaft to the squirrel cage.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Here's a pic of the back.

I see where the shaft sticks through in the middle but there doesn't appear to be anything I can grab on to in order to loosen it.

Last edited by mindcrash; 01-03-2010 at 11:48 PM.

Can you post a side view image? Please take several shots to detail the tip of the shaft, and the back of the impeller.

It is possible that the impeller is threaded onto the motor shaft. It is also possible that the impeller is splined onto the shaft.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Here are some more views, does this help?

Yes, they help, thanks.

What's wrong with the fan? Did it just stop working, is it excessively noisy, is it slow to start, does it just hum?

Judging from the amount of build up dirt and grime, it may just need a good cleaning. Of course, further disassembly may be required for that, I'm not sure. Let me look at the images more when I'm not dog tired and see if I can point out anything for you.

It was making a ton of noise for a while and then just stopped working.

I tried plugging it into a different socket but it still wouldn't turn on and thought the easiest route would be to replace it.

Any help you could give would be fantastic, thanks for taking the time!

Just topically, I've found that most bathroom vent motors seize up because they're dirty and gummy. Clean the motor and you get the fan back. Most of the time, excessive noise can be attributed to wear within the motor, the addition of a few shims to take out the slop can relieve much of the noise. This isn't always the case, but it is a step in the right direction.