+ Reply to Thread

Default Flaking Lead Paint

I live in a 100-yr old house and have a beautiful claw-foot tub in need of new paint on it's outer skin. The interior finish is fine but exterior seems to have been brush-painted many years ago with lead paint that is now cracking and flaking. I'd like to paint over it with enamel to seal it but I need to sc**** and sand lightly -- very lightly -- first. I thought about spraying the surface with water from a spray bottle as I sc**** and sand, to minimize dust and particle travel (I've heard of this method being used with other materials). Of course I plan to take the appropriate safety measures like mask, drop-tarp and appropriate disposal. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Flaking Lead Paint

JT1,

It sounds like you have a decent plan, however, have you considered removeing the paint altogether with chemical stripper?
    The use of chemical strippers would not raise dust. It would leave you with a perfect surface which would take paint beautifully with no signs of past cracking and peeling.

You would obviously have to protect the floor well if you use stripper. Use the heavy bodied stripper intended for verticle surfaces.

I had considered stripper, but the room is not well ventilated and my kids' rooms are nearby. Are non-toxic strippers very effective on lead-based paints? Do they neutralize well - or at all?

Please be very careful with the lead dust. The EPA has a new regulation going into affect in April that regulates any remodeling/construction that disturbs lead paint. It is geared towards contractors so you are not affected, but I think it highlights the seriousness of lead dust. If you do take on this project I recommend respiratory protection for yourself and some sort of dust protection system.

The EPA has a good reference called "Using Barriers to Contain Dust and other Pollutants" Here is the link from their site. http://www.epa.gov/iaq/homes/hip-barriers.html. Barriers should be used to contain the spread of dust and other pollutants from the work area to other parts of the home. A simple barrier consists of 6 mil poly sheeting taped over doors and other openings in the room. Poly sheeting should also be taped over any supply and return registers for the home's heating, cooling, or ventilation system that are in the room to avoid spreading the pollutants or contaminating the ducts. Having blocked off registers, you should be sure to provide ventilation for the area. An exhaust fan, with provision for make-up air, complements this strategy well. For more information, see the discussion of ventilation containment strategies that create a pressure barrier to prevent the spread of pollutants. ZipWall's new ZipPole system is a great system for only $169, half the price of the original ZipWall Barrier System. I've used it and have been very happy. It is inexpensive and quick to set-up. Here is their site - http://www.zipwall.com/lp/zippole.html

Default Flaking Lead Paint

Well im going to put on a greddy evo on friday.....but i dont want to catch eye attention from cops......i was thinking about painting my exhaust flat black....What do you guys think about that?????.......if so what type of paint should i use.....