+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: No Cost Way To Wall Mount Flat Screen TVs

[QUOTE=cathy45ianni;245917]How to screw a hook on the back of the LCD panel?

How to screw a hook on the back of LCD screen[/QUOTE

The back of you TV needs 2 screws so you attach the cut wood on the top two holes.

BUT, since most foreign made TVs use METRIC screws, where will you find the right screws? Trying to force STANDARD screws won't work.

French Cleats are a great idea, but there are a couple considerations here. First is that the screen was designed to use only the proper hanger- anything else not only voids any warranties. Second is that it may also damage the unit by stressing the case improperly. Something else to watch for is the length of any hardware meant to go into the screen- too long and you can short something, damage a component, or crack a circuit board.

Yes, these 'accessories' are a rip-off but you can go it on your own without much risk. First thing to do is if at all possible study the factory brackets. See how they are mounted and think about how weight stresses are transferred between the hanger and the screen. Next is to determine how deep the screws/bolts enter the screen and not exceed that.

Perhaps this is not practical so now what do you do? First is to look closely at the mounting screw holes. Anything that extends past the threaded section does nothing and can be a problem, so consider that when selecting the proper screws/bolts to use. You may have to cut them to length. And yes, they're going to be metric threads. Any nut and bolt house will have these and some sizes can be found in the 'special hardware' drawers of the big-box stores. (If you don't have a source for metric hardware by now you need to do that since almost everything is going metric outside the US construction industry). Next is to think of mounting stresses. Can you see strips of solid material at the mounting holes where adjacent areas are ventilated? Those are the reinforcements that will carry the stress so your cleat needs to cover them. But you don't want to cover much ventilation so you may have to add spacers between the cleat and the screen or remove some wood there. With these things in mind you should be OK with a home-made French cleat mounting.

The trend in marketing is to sell the main product as cheaply as possible, making up the lost profit on 'accessories' some of which are more like necessities. On one of my Ham radios there is a simple cable that could not have cost the manufacturer more than a couple dollars to design and build. It allows the faceplate (control head) to be mounted remotely which is a major feature of this rig. It uses a standard flat cable but has a special connector on one end they designed which you cannot get anywhere else or easily make on your own. This cable sells for $90 and if you want it, you pay for it or you don't remotely mount the control head. Had this rig not have had the cable with it when it came to me I would do without it, just as I'd build a French cleat if I were to acquire a flat screen TV.

Caveat Emptor means more now than ever before due to these 'hidden' costs so do your research well before you plunk your money down. You may find 'work-arounds' like the French cleat or you may find yourself stuck with an oddball connector you can't replicate. Better to know these things ahead of time!

Phil

Phil

Lightbulb Re: No Cost Way To Wall Mount Flat Screen TVs

[QUOTE=dj1;261965]
    Quote Originally Posted by cathy45ianni View Post
    BUT, since most foreign made TVs use METRIC screws, where will you find the right screws?
    Most hardward stores or Loews/Home Depot should carry these. I "think" they take a M8 X !.

There are plenty of places on the net that sell HDTV mounting kits at a reasonable price. If your bolting something heavy to a wall I use these. They hold over 300 pounds PER bolt, so that means they can handle around 1200 pounds for most TV's. There are few TV's these days that weigh more than 75 pounds, so these bolts work perfectly. Always follow directions.

My dad tried this with the French cleats - worked great for a long time. Then one night at about 2 am, CRASH! Luckily nobody was near it. Heck of a way to wake up out of a deep sleep though.

Talking Re: No Cost Way To Wall Mount Flat Screen TVs

Quote Originally Posted by Magdalena View Post
    Then one night at about 2 am, CRASH!
    Would have been funny if he was watching the movie Earthquake at the time

Quote Originally Posted by MyMilan View Post
    Would have been funny if he was watching the movie Earthquake at the time
    What was really funny was my mother's reaction... she is of the you-get-what-you-pay-for school. I think this story is going to outlive HIM.

The walls in my condo were built with metal studs. I understand the wall needs to be reinforced before mounting a flat screen tv. What's the best method to reinforce such a wall?

Lightbulb Re: No Cost Way To Wall Mount Flat Screen TVs

Not all walls need to be reinforced. It depends on the wall construction and the weight of the TV. Most new wide screens are actually fairly light. If you have metal studs then I would think it's pretty strong already. Use a good wall anchor like a Snaptoggle and you should be OK. Each toggle can handle up to 356 pounds EACH, so a couple of them should be more than enough, even if your TV was heavy (which it probably isn't).

Over the last 2 years, new Plasma & LCD HDTV's are lighter and the mounts are less expensive. For mostly non-adjustable mounts, they are as low as $26 on Amazon (qualified for free shipping), more money for a Sanus (name brand), to mount 100lb sets. So I wouldn't fool around with a home made jig.

You could easily drill a few holes (either horizontally or vertically) and place dowels in the holes. This would add a pretty significant amount of stability, while still making it easy to remove the tv if needed.