+ Reply to Thread

Question I am painting my bathroom and the paint is bubbling, Why?

I am painting the bathroom in my home. I am useing Behr latex paint. I am rolling the larger sections. I have noticed that the paint has started to bubble in some areas. One spot was so bad that the paint and a thin layer of old paint came off. This room had wall paper in it when we moved here and we removed it and primed & painted 13 years ago. The paint did not bubble 13 years ago. Does anyone know why it is bubbling know?

Thanks for you help in advance.

Default Re: I am painting my bathroom and the paint is bubbling, Why?

Texasgirlmamma,

Was the paint you went over a semi-gloss or gloss enamel? Did you use an oil paint back 13 years ago? Are the bubbles raising from the old paint or down to the original wallboard?
    My suspicion is that you did not get good adhesion to the paint you were going over and that you should perhaps have primed the walls for the sake of adhesion before painting.

What to do? I assume that the bubbles have gone down. If so, I would leave well enough alone. Where they haven't gone down, I would cut them out and spackle and spot prime the areas, then re-paint the general wall area.

My suspicion is that you did not get good adhesion to the paint you were going over and that you should perhaps have primed the walls for the sake of adhesion before painting.
    Agreed

It also sounds to me like you didn't do much prep work prior to painting. Wiping the walls down with a rag and some warm mildly soapy water to remove anything that shouldn't be there. Things like hairspray, aerosol air fresheners, finger prints can collect on the walls over the years. During this step you might have noticed some of the old paint starting to fail. A quick scuff before you painted or primed would also have alerted you as to any fractures or peeling on the original coat.
    Knowledge is POWER!
    "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear because I am the meanest **edited person** in the whole valley" ~Gen. George S. Patton

Thanks for your help. The bubbles are all gone. When we painted 13 years ago we used latex so I don't think it's the kind of paint. I will be sure to clean the other walls extra good before I paint, and I will prime.